Anyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee:
To my knowledge, sea fans are not moveable. They are attached to the coral base. Their structure is also different. Like this...

aad.sized.jpg

Sea Pens has the bulbous foot that Saffire mentioned that they can draw into.

But we know that different parts of the world have different terminology for the same basic things.

I will buy that, diffrent parts of the world etc. Communiacations did some times get x. One day as we were pulling into a Island for lunch I asked "whats that bird" pointing to a bird flying above us, It looked like a bald eagle and about the same size. They said "sea gull". ?!!!!!!!! me "thats not a sea gull". Them "yes it is". Me to my wife "Im not diving with this oufit they are trying to tell me thats a sea gull" Them " NOT SEA GULL SEA EAGLE. :sorry19z:

Definitely a sea pen...not sure, but think some of them at least need to be taken as specimens to determine exact Genus species...like corals. Many of ours here are white.

I think whoever told you sea fan simply mis-spoke...although I haven't talked to everyone on the planet I have never heard anyone call these anything except sea pens...and considering people in this country seem to rename everything I probably would have come across it LOL

BTW - I like the shot...it's a bit surreal feeling.

Alcina, actually I wanted to get closer and fill the frame with it but was afraid it would sense me and do a disappearing act on me, so you just take what you can get.
David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom