Anyone with any experience with this or similar torch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how in the heck do you really expect a $23 light to be of any quality?

how in the heck do you really expect a $23 light to be of any quality?

I think one can ask a similar question about expensive torches. Perhaps the dive shop purchased torches at premium prices are just wickedly marked up in price because it is a "specialty item" being purchased at a "specialty store".

I know plenty of people who have purchased "quality" torches from dive shops at high prices only to have problems with switches, or the LED, or the torch leaked. Touches typically have a limited warranty period....once that expires and one hasa problem they basically have an expensive paper weight.

I am not recommending ine jump in the water with junk...but one does not need to spend a fortune on a torch to have a decent one for open water recreational diving. My family of 4 divers have been using the same torches we purchased in 2014....they have worked well out of the box and we get about 1.5 hrs burn time at max brightness. The only problem I had was with the magnet in one switch had rusted but.it was easy.to take apart and clean up and it has worked great since...all for the initial coat of $19.

If my $19 torch leaks, I would be frustrated but not disappointed...I would just buy another...but if an expensive torch leaks it would be more than frustrating considering the investment.

-Z

I've tried a bunch of the cheap lights. Some are real junk, a very few seem decent. Often some brand names are just rebrands. The DGX600 is a brinyte of some sort. a lot of Orcatorchs end up rebranded.
The one in question has made the grade, for me....so far, but I do not have extensive experience. An OK light might last 10 or 50 dives. A good light will go on for years with proper care.

The rebranded lights might just be ones that meet higher quality metrics off the same production line. Kind of like fruit and meat.

The rebranded lights might just be ones that meet higher quality metrics off the same production line.

True. If there are batteries and chargers they could also be of higher quality. DGX600 generally comes with a decent battery and a functional if simple charger.

Thanks very much for the recommendation. A dive light needs to work.

There is a wide range of light intensities and beam angles that a diver can choose from, but if the light is not reliable, it really has very little utility. Probably not something which should be economized to the maximum extent possible. Go with something that has a good track record and hopefully good customer service reputation.

The rebranded lights might just be ones that meet higher quality metrics off the same production line. Kind of like fruit and meat.
I suspect I’ve seen this with a particular strobe in the past that we’ve had a few of. Dive shop ones did much better than “identical” ones from a marine place. They presumably did not expect those bought by boaters to go to depth, and the orings/assembly were a mess. Just a couple data points, but enough to make me wonder.

There’s not a 100% direct relationship between price and quality/suitability. But there is certainly a fair amount, especially at the far ends of the spectrum. You might get lucky, but I would not bother with a really cheap light that’s not at least from a dive place of some sort. Even if someone has luck with one, I wouldn’t count on them all being the same. False economy when you can spend not that much more and get something decent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom