Anyone using the new Pearl i3 bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texswamper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was just certified this week using a Scubapro Ladyhawk that I used during pool work and open dives. I like this bc a lot, but it's the only bc I've used.

I tried on the new Aqualung Pearl i3 and like the new inflate/deflate lever on the jacket instead of the old style, but since it's new I haven't read any diver's reviews. Unfortunately, you can't test drive dive equipment like you can a car. I don't want to rent gear I'm not familiar with, so I lean towards the Scubapro.

Has anyone bought this new bc for women and had experience with it?

I have the Pro QD i3, and I am very happy about it. There was in this forum a huge thread about "BCDs with inflator lever" or something like that. Basically, a few of us, owning or having tested this BCD were very happy about it. Most people hated the i3 for the reason that is not standard, and mostly the Pro QD for not being a BP/W, but never tried it for real.

I think you should first ask yourself if you like the Pearl if it would not have the i3. If the answer is yes, you can buy the Pearl i3. If you don't like the i3, you can always install a normal inflator on the Pearl, and use it instead.

The arguments against the i3 were:
- bad Aqualung marketing (they say UP for going up, DOWN for descent, which of course is wrong, because you never inflate on ascent neither deflate on descent)
- non-standard configuration, raising safety issues with your buddy if he doesn't know how to operate your BCD
- risk of entanglement (but for me it doesn't seem possible, as I have tried)

The arguments pro i3 are:
- surprisingly easy&efficient deflate through all valves (no need to raise a valve)
- you can control the inflate/deflate speed by the length of the lever movement
- i like more the idea of one control with up&down movements rather than two buttons
- you get rid of the inflator dangling on your shoulder

Personally, I believe if it fits you properly and you like it, go for it.

Remarkably concise way of thinking. Funny that more people don't use this complex logic set!

I agree - if you like it, it fits, and feel that it will function well, get it.

You'll find more luddites on this site than you'd ever imagine. Change doesn't go over well with many in this sport, which is funny considering the amount of innovation that got us to where we are today.

Have fun diving.

Remarkably concise way of thinking. Funny that more people don't use this complex logic set!

You'll find more luddites on this site than you'd ever imagine. Change doesn't go over well with many in this sport, which is funny considering the amount of innovation that got us to where we are today.

Have fun diving.

:D:D:D

Have fun diving.

There are those "luddites" who believe that, in diving, the KISS system is particularly prudent.

I'm a new diver, and have one. Virtually have not dived with anything else, till this weekend when I had to use a rental. Oh, did I miss my I3.

Back
Top Bottom