Anyone using Chris Carmichael book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Snickers Bar made me laugh too. I went right out and bought one for the Bento Box :) Chris, if you want, I'll send you the spreadsheet that I put together. As an example for the last 2 days... Using the calculator at www.caloriesperhour.com, a bunch of food labels and measuring devices large and small, I figure that I've managed just under 7200 calories worth of BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) and workouts. I've consumed just under 5200 calories of food (6 small, mostly balanced meals a day and lots of water). That leaves me with a 2000 calorie deficit... We'll see what happens when I get to Sunday, but I figure that 423 mile bike ride at 18mph on Friday should cook off most of my Thanksgiving meal :wink: My ratios are "off" though - CPF/70-18-12, compared to the recommended 65/13/22, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get Fat (not me, the macronutrient) without so much protein - I'm thinking a buttered bagel for breakfast tomorrow might do the trick...

Randy, you're on the right track, but I think you may have only been presented with one side of the story. It is true that simple carbs (sugars specifically) can give a jump start to the ole insulin. Here's the thing, everyone's body works the same way, it's the results that differ because of where our bodies are with certain things. For example, let's look at the Atkins diet (first hand experience here). The reason it takes a couple of days for someone to go into ketosis, especially someone who is sedentary, is that it takes them that long to burn through all of their glycogen stores (think of it as carb energy ready at a moments notice). In my case, 45 pounds down but still 75 pounds overweight, cycling as close as I can get to 20mph on a rolling course for 2 hours, I'm going to burn through most of that in 30 to 45 minutes depending on my effort. You read that right, 2 days as opposed to 30 minutes. Granted, someone with a better body composition and higher fitness can make it last up to 90 minutes... Experimenting with different foods, I've learned that if I consume 100 calories (all carbs) about every 30 (to 60) minutes, I can maintain that effort and not "bonk." That's 44 grams of complex carbs and 8 grams of simple sugars. The reason that it doesn't go straight to adipose tissue is that I've just wiped out most of my glycogen stores and they need to be replaced. A sedentary person (me, not that long ago) walks around with a "topped off" tank of glycogen stores all the time. In that case, the insulin takes those carbs and stores it in adipose tissue for later. In my bike ride example, a lot of other things are happening before I would get to a "dump it in the fat cells" situation. Yes consuming all those carbs during exercise will "spike" my insulin, but it won't be huge (compared to a sedentary person eating a bag of chips and washing it down with a coke) and as soon as those carbs are turned into glycogen stores, the insulin levels will drop off rather quickly. Regular exercise increases the effectiveness of insulin and your poor pancreas doesn't have to make as much of it to get the job done. Insulin is also very useful in building muscles - aside from helping your body get glucose and triglycerides from the bloodstream, insulin increases the amounts of amino acids that can be absorbed into muscle. Think of it this way, insulin does an excellent job of helping your body recover from exercise and it is one of many keys to the physiological adaptation that athletes strive for in their workouts. It helps rebuild the body after the punishment of ripping it apart and draining it's energy stores during exercise. A sendentary person isn't allowing their body to be everything that it's capable of, so the body does the best it can. I'm just learning all of this (over the past 7 or 8 months), so let's keep the conversation going. This is fun!

-Frank

No doubt the carbohydrates requirements for someone who's very active is different than the needs of the average Joe. I'll take a look at the book. By the way, I’m not purporting to know much about nutrition, I really don't. My information comes from The South Beach diet book and from doing some research on the body’s insulin response from ones diet. My daughter has Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome; her system is sensitive to insulin produced by eating carbohydrates so I did a little research about it. I agree that someone working hard has different dietary needs than someone leading a sedentary life style.

On balance, it seems to me, the average person eats too many simple carbohydrates, which isn't a good thing because it causes insulin to spike.

It sounds like a good book and from your recommendation I'll read it.

Thanks for the information,

Randy

CameronMartz:
Randy,

You might be misinterpreting what you're reading here- Chris Carmichael (Lance Armstrong's cycling coach) is the king of carbs. His book is the antithesis of South Beach, Atkins, etc. However, as several have pointed out, he makes an important distinction regarding sources of calories (not just carbs), and yes, sometimes even sugar is just the right trick.

If you are interested in reading a nutrition book geared towards an athete or anyone exercising to lose weight, I highly recommend Carmichael's book. It is not a "diet" book but rather a book on nutrition for active people.

ChrisM,

It is not unnatural to develop a caloric deficit during the acclimation phase of a new training plan. As long as you are not starving yourself of the energy and nutrition you need to progress your fitness, you can certainly work towards a moderate caloric deficit, reduce body fat, and increase lean tissue mass.

Cameron

Frank, I'd love to see the spreadsheet..... And You HAVE been reading books. I'm gonna have to print out your response and read it... a few times :)

You can send it to me a cjmenjou AT hotmail DOT com...

thanks bud

It's all interesting to me, I always thought of food as something that just tastes good or bad, not something that could get me through a workout without feeling like s*** afterwards. It's a total paradigm shift for me.

Chris

Chris, check your PMs on BT for the spreadsheet...

I'm in the same boat with the shifting. Fat is bad, fat is good, carbs are bad, carbs are good, everything is bad, everything is good. I've realised that mostly everything is good stuff (stuff your body can make use of in some way) and the bad stuff doesn't belong there... The trick with paradigm shifts is to do them without grinding the clutch :)

On balance, it seems to me, the average person eats too many simple carbohydrates, which isn't a good thing because it causes insulin to spike.

Randy, I couldn't agree with you more on that point. What works, works, right? I dogpiled PCOS and found some interesting information. I understand more where you are coming from now. Good for you for learning about it. Best wishes for your family.

-Frank

Frank,

I used to carry Snickers with me on long rides, too, until Ironman Canada 1998. Temps reached the triple digits (yes, it gets hot in Canada, too) during the bike. Since my special needs bag containing the Snickers bar was sitting in the sun, I was in for a surprise when I pulled it out.

I knew I was in trouble when the whole thing just flopped over in my hand. It was like eating hot fudge with peanuts, only out of a ketchup pack. A fair quantity of the stuff just oozed all over my face as I tried to squeeze it into my mouth.

So, Snickers are great as long as the temps are right, but it's hard to beat a pack of Twinkies and a cold Mountain Dew 80 miles into a 100 mile training ride. <g>

Cameron

Thanks for the tip Cameron, I'll have to keep that in mind :)

By the way (not to completely derail Chris' thread), I tried the 60 minute bike trainer workout from your website a few weeks ago... That one leg pedaling is murder. I can see how working on that will certainly help though. Seeing as I'm new with a lot of this yet, and winter is just getting started, what would be a good trainer workout for "off season" and/or base building? Or is that what that workout is for? Sorry for not knowing (I know the description says it's for building technique)...

Also, while I'm thinking about it... How's the book coming along? Will it be available in time for Santa to pick up a copy for me??? :)

-Frank

That workout is good year-round. The single leg drills are great for sharpening and maintaining your pedaling efficiency, and it is always a good way to spend an hour cycling when the weather or traffic is poor. Make sure you listen to the hum of your trainer- try to keep the tone as steady as possible during all but the out-of-the-saddle sections.

My book will not be ready before X-mas, unfortunately, but Dr. Deco has already edited several technical sections. I am awaiting comments from my nutritionist and exercise editors, and am I trying to get a number of underwater photos taken. This has become a much more substantial book than I originally set out to write, though I think this has been worth the extra time.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom