anyone using a Aqualung with the i3 system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I'm no equipment expert, however today at rescue class pool session, we had a assistant
instructor playing the role of victim for us 2 rescue diver candidates. She was wearing an Aqualung
i3. It fills and dumps just fine, my issue with it was, it was cumbersome to operate as a rescuer, most
bc's have a traditional fill and dump on the corrugated hose and it makes it easy to fill the bc.
The i3 fill and dump switch is on the left side over the quick release weights.
Not that you'll need to be rescued anytime soon, however it was something we observed as another
item to aware of when approaching a victim.

Did you know the AI had an i3 equiped BC before the rescue? If not, did it slow your attempt to inflate the BC. Also from a rescue standpoint what do you think of the octo pocket or whatever they call the octo storage?

---------- Post Merged at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:14 AM ----------

I own both a DUI Delta back inflate, and an AquaLung Axiom i3, and in most instances, I will use the Axiom, as it is more comfortable, has/needs no crotch strap, and because after using the i3 system, I love it! IMHO, I love the fact that the i3 system is always in exactly the same spot, and 99% of the time, there is no need to change attitude to dump air. I would not hesitate to buy another.

Time will tell about the longevity of the i3 system, but it really isn't all that complicated, so I'm not worried. And as a pilot, I am used to hearing people shun anything that isn't the accepted, industry norm. But again, IMHO, I applaud Aqualung, and Mares for that matter, for thinking out of the box, hopefully, for their sake, enough people will vote with their wallets, and decide for themselves if i3, or airtrim, was worthy of their R&D dollars.

By the way, Mares still offers 2 models with Airtrim, and of those with whom I have spoken, who had the willingness to try it, were quite fond of the system, but to each their own!

Jake what makes or breaks a BC is proper fit, I suspect the DUI doesn't fit you as well as the Axiom does. I dive a BP/W now but before that I dove a Beuchat jacket BC. It was nothing special and not even weight integrated however I never had a problem finding the inflator. It had 2 or 3 dump valves, which were easy to find to and no need to change attitude to dump air. I also have a Seatec Manta a friend gave me. I dove it a few times but it was too tight. I had no problems finding the inflator or dumping on that one either.

The Mares system has been around for a while I think from the late 90s but at least from the early 00s, so it has been around for at least 10 years. If you look at the Mares site you will see they do not list any BCs with the airtrim system. If they don't list them in the catalog that usually means that what is being sold is old stock.

If they don't list them in the catalog that usually means that what is being sold is old stock.
Actually I was basing this off the last printed edition of their catalog.
Their website, upon further investigation, does still list 2 (Dragon AT, and Kaila AT) as still available (as of today anyway).

I do agree that fit is everything, and the Axiom does fit me perfectly, it's also just a major plus when I like EVERYTHING else about it too.

Having moved from my proQD i3 to diving mainly sidemount the one thing I still miss is the i3 system. Despite knowing where the rear dump is I still find myself fiddling around for it. On the other hand I can go back to the proQD and immediately dump air no matter what my attitude. It's a bloody brilliant system and I wish it were available for my sidemount kit.

Having moved from my proQD i3 to diving mainly sidemount the one thing I still miss is the i3 system. Despite knowing where the rear dump is I still find myself fiddling around for it. On the other hand I can go back to the proQD and immediately dump air no matter what my attitude. It's a bloody brilliant system and I wish it were available for my sidemount kit.
Thats my next move I think, I'm looking hard at going sidemount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom