Anyone uses 5mm suit on Roatan in Sept?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is 5mm suit too much given 3-4 dives a day for a week on Roatan in September? I am packing and trying to figure whether I should pack my 5mm suit in addition to my warm weather 3/2mm. Any input is appreciated.

Sure, people use them all the time.

Will you? No one knows but you. Expect water temps on the South side to be 83°. Here's the weather log: http://docksidedivecenter.com/WeeklyLog.shtml

Every one is different, but now you have the only fact that will really mean anything- the water temp and your dive schedule.
You'll be the only one that can decide this.

You call the 3mil your "warm weather" suit.... how much warmer could it get than that?

If its a matter of not having prior experience, you might want to err on the safe side and bring both. If you are staying at a better dive-op or resort, they will likely have 5mils for rent. E-mail them and inquire.

I would. 4-5 dives a day and 3mm would not cut it for me. You can always flush water in if you get hot but it's way harder to add heat when you get chilled under water.

Sure, people use them all the time.

Will you? No one knows but you. Expect water temps on the South side to be 83°. Here's the weather log: Weekly Log for Dockside Dive Center

Any way to tell the water temp on the North side? Like you said, I have no prior experience of that many dives in a row, so I'm not exactly sure. Usually, by the end of the week of diving in 82F water I feel fine in a 3 mil assuming I'm doing 2 days per day. Thanks.

I have hit Roatan the last 3 Novembers, and a 1 mm is enough for me. That's me and not you, if your a cold person, yeah take the suit.... I only dive a 3mm in the freash water springs in FL 70 degrees year around.

Joe

Any way to tell the water temp on the North side? Like you said, I have no prior experience of that many dives in a row, so I'm not exactly sure. Usually, by the end of the week of diving in 82F water I feel fine in a 3 mil assuming I'm doing 2 days per day. Thanks.

I'd lean towards the 5mil. It's a bit cooler there, more in the shade, if it rains it can get icky over that way, and the dives are deeper.

As you well know, repetitive dives can really knock you down.

In July, my 1mil was more than sufficient. Although in November, I was FREEZING in my 3 mil. Bring both, you can always use them to pad the Flor de Cana you will be bringing back.

I find the rain effects both sides of the island equally, but the dives do tend to be deeper on the North side, I tend to only drop from my 5mm to a 3mm for the months of July, August and September. The rest of the year i wear a Full 5mm occasionally using a 3mm hooded vest underneath. I am a warm water wimp though.

My wife wore a 5mm in Roatan and was happy at the end of a 4 dive day.

In February, I brought a 3 mil and 5 mil - wore the 3 mil during the day and had my 5 mil nice and dry for night dives (when I didnt have the sun to warm me up before and after).
That seemed to work pretty well. If had to choose only one suit it would be the 5 for me just about any time.

Back
Top Bottom