Anyone use Sea Vision masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a new Sea Vision Ultra. Fits better than anything I've tried since I was a teenager. I'll be finally diving it in a week.

Now, here's my puzzlement:

Normally I use toothpaste and/or soft scrub to clean a new mask. This one says "NO ABRASIVES" but did come with a bottle of defog from the company. So I'm wondering if people have had any fogging problems with these masks when new & if so, what they did about it.

Don't use toothpaste on the mask.

SeaVision makes a great mask! My daughter, wife and I all dive with SeaVisions.

But as far as their de-fog goes . . . throw that stuff out and refill the bottle with Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo!

The SeaVision de-fog really burns the eyes if you get a bit too much in the mask.

the K

Hi - my daughter has one and I can't remember what we did. So, I went to Sea Vision's website and found the instructions for you:

Maintenance Instructions:

. Please do not clean your SeaVision Mask with any abrasive substances (toothpaste, scrub cleansers) this will damage the anti-fog quality. After each use; rinse your mask in fresh water before storing. Follow all cleaning instructions and store in the protective box. Due to the nature of silicon and the environment in which it is used, mask skirts and straps may fade or experience a loss of color. This does not effect the performance of your mask. Avoid storing for long periods of time in elevated temperatures or direct sunlight.

. Cleaning Instructions:
. Although every effort has been made to provide you with a mask prepared to use for diving, there are a few simple procedures to follow before using it. A mask defog has been supplied with your mask or lenses for wet or dry application. Apply a small amount to interior of the lens surface, rub in completely, allow to dry and then rinse until clear.

Yeah, it works. I used toothpaste for a while, it works good. Then I tried baby shampoo & it worked even better.

This mask has not been wet yet. Planning a trip next saturday. I can use either the stuff that came with it, or shampoo. Or 200 Foot Viz, a commerical defogger I have that is OK but I'm not terribly impressed with.

Amadeus023:
Interesting - why baby shampoo? Does it work well? The price is certainly good.

Can be used for several things:

1 - Mask defog
2 - Seal lubricant for donning dry suits
3 - Rinsing out the B/C
4 - Rinsing wet suits and other gear
5 - And last, but not least . . . washing one's hair, if one has hair.

the K

The Walmart house brand is what I use. A large bottle costs $0.98. It think it's exactly the same as J&J's.

For diving I have a real small squeeze bottle I keep some in so I don't have to carry the big bottle with me.

I've been diving my Sea Vision Ultra, with color correcting lenses, for the last 4 yrs., and my standard routine for cleaning after diving is to squirt the defog on the inside, rub the skirt, inside and out, and dry it with a soft cloth. My mask's skirt looks as new today as it did when I bought the mask. I dive it even at night, and it performs beautifully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom