Anyone use Fortress Clothing as an additional layer to their undergarment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is for the divers who are wimps like me when it comes to cold temperatures.

What is it with americans and their synthetics!

WOOL!

Wool is naturally wicking. It is the ONLY fabric that also retains insulation properties also when wet.
It is also naturally resistant to odours!

Wool can be used as base layers, midlayers, top layers and in-between layers.
Combining polyester, spandex and elastane just sounds like a proper recipe to be wet, cold, miserable AND smelly.

View attachment 771097
Alpaca is even warmer. I do have alpaca socks and boot liners.

This is what alpacas think of your sheep wool:

I use the following for my layering solution with great results

Columbia Onmiheat, swiftwick socks (cycling socks)- base layer
DUI 300g pant, long sleeve, socks - insulation
DUI TLX - drysuit
I have a base layer, heated vest omniheatt shirt. Then more layers. Want to reduce the bulk. I do have a Merlin sweater that I could add and use a base later from Fortress. That may be the most practical solution. Again all this is driven by my cold water wimpiness. Not gonna lie.

I have a base layer, heated vest omniheatt shirt. Then more layers. Want to reduce the bulk. I do have a Merlin sweater that I could add and use a base later from Fortress. That may be the most practical solution. Again all this is driven by my cold water wimpiness. Not gonna lie.
It seems like you have a lot of layers, but I'm not an expert shoot I'm barely a novice.

I know a lot of people near me (Southern California, USA) use a sharkskin baselayer with a basic sweat suit for warmth. I'm a cold sissy so I use the DUI 300g undergarments but I still get cold in temps of about 57degF. I also have dreams of diving the great lakes so I have no clue how I'm going to handle the temps in the 30s.

My go to layering for any dive sub 10C.
Winter runner tights (150g), quick dry ling sleeve t shirt, fleece 150g on top, Avatar 450g fleece undersuit. For socks, I use wool hiking socks, and a set of sealsking extreme weather socks over them. For gloves, silk liner gloves, and 150g fleece goves over them under dry gloves.

If it's extrw cold that day, or I feel chilly, I add a fleece vest 200g.

And you are sure you are warm blooded like the rest of us lol? I think I'd die of heat exhaustion with all that.

In all seriousness, curious about how the fortress stuff works out though, best of luck!

When I re-animated this thread, I was looking for feedback specifically on the Fortress BasePro layers. I currently use solutions much like all the noise here, but the Fortress BasePro layers look like something new and I was wondering if someone had tried them, which was the same question that @wetb4igetinthewater had when he started this thread.

0/15 of the posts so far address the actual question asked (both times it was asked).

When I re-animated this thread, I was looking for feedback specifically on the Fortress BasePro layers. I currently use solutions much like all the noise here, but the Fortress BasePro layers look like something new and I was wondering if someone had tried them, which was the same question that @wetb4igetinthewater had when he started this thread.

0/15 of the posts so far address the actual question asked (both times it was asked).
Go ahead, spend more money

Back
Top Bottom