Anyone use a double-hatch Scupper Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flotsam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been looking for a SOT to use for snorkeling, scalloping, and black water rivers. I'd also like some storage for camping or diving gear. Diving would probably be what I used it for least, since I live in NC FL.
Most of the Scupper Pros tank wells or Scrambler XTs have been in the $450-$500 range, but I've found a 16ft double-hatch Scupper Pro for $300. It's got nice storage for camping, but it's a bit narrower for a SOT, so less stability. Has anyone been able to store diving gear in the hatch, and is it easy to hop back on? It's an 1.5hr away, so I don't want to make the trip just to try and fit my gear if it def won't work.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't much about Scupper Pros or Scramblers but I've been seriously considering getting a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 to use for kayak diving & snorkeling. I have 2 WS Pungo 140s and a 120 and really like them, especially for paddling and kayak camping on the Suwannee. However, since they're sit-ins you can't dive from them at all since there's nowhere to store a rig and even to snorkel from them, you have to beach somewhere and get out vs. just hopping over the side. (Hence my wanting a SOT.) The Tarpons have a large storage hatch in the bow and a smaller one in the mid-section in front of the seat, plus 2 small mesh areas in front of the seat to store small things. The rear open area not only has bungees across it but they're on slide rails which makes adjusting them much easier vs. fixed points. The rear well of the 120 is just long enough to accommodate an AL80 tank w/ a BC attached which is the most important part. (The Tarpon 100's well is too short.) The Tarpon 140 is even longer than the 120 but the boat is also a bit narrower, not to mention much heavier (68lbs). The weight of the 120 (63lbs) is the biggest con as it's heavier than my Pungos and about at the limit that I can lift onto the roof of my Rav4 on my own. It can hold up to 350lbs though which is a big plus. There are a lot of WS Ride models for sale on Craigslist all the time but they are even heavier than the Tarpons and much slower due to being wider and having a different hull shape. Those were primarily aimed at fishermen vs just paddling. I haven't actually paddled a Tarpon yet but am planning to over the Xmas break just to help me decide. Lastly, WS does make an Ultra-lite version of the Tarpon 120 which is only 49lbs but doesn't have the storage of the regular 120 and other extra bells/whistles and is MUCH more expensive since it's made of different material vs the rotomolded plastic of the regular WS boats. Take a look at them when doing your research. I got my Pungo 120 and one of my 140s used and they've been really good boats. My other 140 I just bought new last year as a closeout model and it's got the latest generation seats and nice Orbix latching hatches. Keep an eye out on Craigslist (where I got my older 140) and on the kayak rental companies, as they will turn their fleets over every 1-2 years and sell off their used boats for a good price. (I got my 120 from Kayak Amelia on Big Talbot Island for $500 a few years ago.)

Hope this help out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom