Anyone up for Millbrook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well,
We got the call Saturday morning that King of All Tyrants had some unlucky car problems, and would not be able to make it. The night before we had 3 others unable to get there, so- that left 3 of us. All with season passes to Willow in PA. A little math later, and it was determined cheaper to pay the gas to PA and save Millbrook for a different time. We need to get some of the discount tickets, then we will hit Millbrook. Definitely there in May. On the plus side, the wife got here 4th drysuit dive in, and got to finally explore the Quest- thats the 72' sailing trawler in Willow. We also got to talk more to the new owners-Tom and Joya. They are looking for ways to improve the vis there. And they are looking to become divers-yes they bought a dive site without being divers. They are both very nice people, great site-we even had 15ft vis, and 50 degrees at depth. So, who is up for May at Millbrook, and when?
-Jay

Yup, I started the thread and didn't even show :D. I'm glad that you all had fun at Bainbridge.

I should be up any Saturday in the late period of the month. Let me know.

JayJudge:
Well,
We got the call Saturday morning that King of All Tyrants had some unlucky car problems, and would not be able to make it. The night before we had 3 others unable to get there, so- that left 3 of us. All with season passes to Willow in PA. A little math later, and it was determined cheaper to pay the gas to PA and save Millbrook for a different time. We need to get some of the discount tickets, then we will hit Millbrook. Definitely there in May. On the plus side, the wife got here 4th drysuit dive in, and got to finally explore the Quest- thats the 72' sailing trawler in Willow. We also got to talk more to the new owners-Tom and Joya. They are looking for ways to improve the vis there. And they are looking to become divers-yes they bought a dive site without being divers. They are both very nice people, great site-we even had 15ft vis, and 50 degrees at depth. So, who is up for May at Millbrook, and when?
-Jay

Glad you had a good time at Willow. That's great news about the new owners plans. A couple of months ago they told the folks at my LDS that they were going to run it as a dive park for only a couple of years and then shut it down to make it their own private lake. Sounds like their plans have changed for the better.

As for Millbrook - June is the earliest we'll be there. The dance card is full for May. LadyDog and I are going to Rawlings May 4-6. I'm working the 12th. Mother's Day is the 13th, so there's a domestic safety issue there. Then we head to Pompano Beach for 4 days of diving 17-21.

Memorial Day weekend is at a friends house on the Northern neck in Virginia, right by the mouth of the Potomac. He's got a boat, but I don't know of anything to dive around there. Any suggestions?

See you in June!

Mountain Dog

Mountain Dog-
Well, I am not suggesting this, but there is the U-1105 at the mouth of the Potomac. 90 ft I think, braille dive for sure. It is the so called "black Panther" because it was covered in rubber to avoid sonar. We got it as a war prize, and after testing sank it. There is a bouy, I think, but must be dove at slack tide, and blah, blah, blah... More info on the web-I haven't been there, only heard things about it.The only thing visible is the tower, the rest is silted in. Hope that this helps,
-Jay

JayJudge:
Mountain Dog-
Well, I am not suggesting this, but there is the U-1105 at the mouth of the Potomac. 90 ft I think, braille dive for sure. It is the so called "black Panther" because it was covered in rubber to avoid sonar. We got it as a war prize, and after testing sank it. There is a bouy, I think, but must be dove at slack tide, and blah, blah, blah... More info on the web-I haven't been there, only heard things about it.The only thing visible is the tower, the rest is silted in. Hope that this helps,
-Jay

Yes, I've read about that wreck. But as I recall, it is indeed a braille dive and usually in a decent current at that. I don't recall the particulars right now, but I do remember thinking that as much as I would like to see that ship, it's probably a dive LadyDog and I won't undertake on our own anytime soon. We'll just have to make do with fishing for dinner and floating around in my buddy's pool.

Mountain Dog

Planning on doing the Easter Egg fun dive on May 6 w/ the Dive Shop. Called the shop and they indicated temp was around 45. Diving with my son who is Jr certified so we will be in the upper 40 feet. Still renting wetsuits. Not sure if it too cold for wet. Son really wants to go. I guess youth knows no cold until he gets wet.

Any opinions?

Mountain Dog:
Yes, I've read about that wreck. But as I recall, it is indeed a braille dive and usually in a decent current at that. I don't recall the particulars right now, but I do remember thinking that as much as I would like to see that ship, it's probably a dive LadyDog and I won't undertake on our own anytime soon. We'll just have to make do with fishing for dinner and floating around in my buddy's pool.

Mountain Dog
The bouy was reattached last weekend. To get to the wreck go down the bouy to the cement block and follow the rope to the conning tower. I did this dive last year to help reattach the bouy and only remember seeing the wintergarten on the tower, everything else was black. I hit the bottom of the river and knew it because it didn't feel like water, but it wasn't solid either. It was a fun dive that I would have done again if my schedule had worked out.

Wheatondiver:
Planning on doing the Easter Egg fun dive on May 6 w/ the Dive Shop. Called the shop and they indicated temp was around 45. Diving with my son who is Jr certified so we will be in the upper 40 feet. Still renting wetsuits. Not sure if it too cold for wet. Son really wants to go. I guess youth knows no cold until he gets wet.

Any opinions?

Well,
My wife has dove 38 degree in a 7mm farmer john, hood and gloves. There are a few tricks you can employ that will help. Get everything ready to go before getting in the water. Bring a cooler with some jugs of hot water, pour them down your suit just before you get into the water-not when putting on the suit. Duct tape your boots on. With those, she was able to manage a couple good dives. When you start to get cold (aside from the ice cream headache on entry), get out of the water! A lot of people don't realize that as your body numbs, blood flow slows down, and thats bad. But a couple of 20-30 minute dives would be fairly easy to pull off
-Jay

Thanks. Does pouring warm water really help? I will be renting a wetsuit. I had some tight fitting ones last year. I believe it was either a 5 mil or 5/7. I have a 3 mil full suit and my son has a 3 mil shorty. Would it help to try to squeeze the 3 mil under the thicker suit? We plan on diving more at Millbrook, Dutch Springs, and Willow Springs. Can't afford a drysuit at this time. Any opinions on types/brands of wetsuits?

Correction to the date. I thought my son had a lacrosse game on Saturday. As it turns out, the game is on Sunday. We will be diving with our club, Olney Scuba Adventures on Saturday for their Spring tune-up at Millbrook

I remember the mud hole only too well. Too many dives there, too many classes taught there. Had to head south, glad to have sold my DUI dry suit after over 10 years of cold water diving. It was about 75F on the reef today out of W. Palm Beach, just like Millbrook in the late fall :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom