Anyone Tried the Flurohood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fly Girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm in the market for a new hood. I bought my 3/5mm Henderson Gold Core bib wet suit hood about a year ago, and I hate it. While I LOVE my Henderson hyperstretch wet suits (yes, plural), but the hood has never quite fit right. It is way too tight around my neck when I am on land, so much so that I want to pass out, and the hood expands so much when I'm in the water that air pools on the top and tries to raise the hood over my head. I think it is basically a fit issue for me - I have too big a neck and too small a head for my size large.

Anyway, I'm shopping around for a 5mm hood, especially since I got my dry suit. My White's Fusion Dry Suit will take a bibbed wet suit hood as the hood tucks nicely in outside of the neck, so a bibbed or unbibbed would be fine. I was reading in Dan Alert about the Flurohood (Fluro Hood - 'Don't get Left Behind'). It looks nice, visible, and well made. It is also reasonably priced with the on-line discount. So, has anyone tried this hood? If yes, what do you think?

Overall bottom line - I would like visible, but comfortable is probably the most important thing for me.

Personally, I just got a 5mm mini hood in bright green with Shrek ears from Terrapin.[/QUOTE]

I can't wait to see this!

I'm in the market for a new hood. I bought my 3/5mm Henderson Gold Core bib wet suit hood about a year ago, and I hate it. While I LOVE my Henderson hyperstretch wet suits (yes, plural), but the hood has never quite fit right.

Me too, love the suits (I also have several), hate the hoods...I get serious jaw fatigue from mine.

It is way too tight around my neck when I am on land, so much so that I want to pass out, and the hood expands so much when I'm in the water that air pools on the top and tries to raise the hood over my head. I think it is basically a fit issue for me - I have too big a neck and too small a head for my size large.

Anyway, I'm shopping around for a 5mm hood, especially since I got my dry suit. My White's Fusion Dry Suit will take a bibbed wet suit hood as the hood tucks nicely in outside of the neck, so a bibbed or unbibbed would be fine.

Again, me too!!!

I was reading in Dan Alert about the Flurohood (Fluro Hood - 'Don't get Left Behind'). It looks nice, visible, and well made. It is also reasonably priced with the on-line discount. So, has anyone tried this hood? If yes, what do you think?

My LDS just started carring these, no feedback yet.

Overall bottom line - I would like visible, but comfortable is probably the most important thing for me.

I got a custom 7m titanium stretch hood that fits AWESOMELY (no more pulling on my jaw or TMJ fatigue) and added a 3mm bib that fits in my wetsuits and my Fusion drysuit. It cost the same as most of the off-the-shelf drysuit hoods I tried on and less than my old Hendersons cost me 2 yrs ago. I got all black, but could have gotten it in a variety of colors (Like lime, yellow, or blue).

IMO, go custom.

Maybe if I could try one on first... but I really like the Henderson Gold Core drysuit hoods. If they came in lots of colors I'd be happier, but I really don't want to change a hood that fits perfectly just to get the bright colors.

Kind of a shame they misspelled Fluorescent in their company name.

Good theory, but in the end, I kind of agree custom is probably better, unless your LDS carries them and you can verify fit and quality first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom