Anyone tried an eSIM for data in Indonesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't sound hard...

Problem is you need an Indonesian bank account to top up. Like lots of things in Indonesia you can only pay with a local credit/debit card, bank transfer, or any of the local payment apps like Dana, Gopay, etc.. Also if SIM card is 3 years old its is most likely expired, you need to keep on topping up your account to keep the SIM active.

I think that the vast majority of users on SB, probably in the USA are those “one trip per year” travelers. I do a lot of travel, United 2M (small fraction of yours!). I’m keep a second phone for an additional SIM if necessary. I need to keep my primary number active. TM is mostly sufficient because WIFi is so pervasive.

Agree but the 5GB limit and the restrictor plate down to basically dial up speed at 256kbps is a show stopper for me. I am usually a couple weeks/months in different countries so I need way more than 5GB. To keep a US number I just have a Google voice number (actually have 2 of them) I can make and receive US calls with it and also I can get bank security text codes on it as well.

Problem is you need an Indonesian bank account to top up. Like lots of things in Indonesia you can only pay with a local credit/debit card, bank transfer, or any of the local payment apps like Dana, Gopay, etc.. Also if SIM card is 3 years old its is most likely expired, you need to keep on topping up your account to keep the SIM active.

Agree but the 5GB limit and the restrictor plate down to basically dial up speed at 256kbps is a show stopper for me. I am usually a couple weeks/months in different countries so I need way more than 5GB. To keep a US number I just have a Google voice number (actually have 2 of them) I can make and receive US calls with it and also I can get bank security text codes on it as well.
I’m listed on the original Google Voice patent. I also worked on the OS for the original SIM. Dem was the days.

It doesn't sound hard...
Need a phone number for any of the options. But no phone number is showing in settings. Perhaps a data only card since I purchased for an iPad. I'm guessing there's some way I could make it work, but it will probably take less time to just purchase a new card at the Manado airport.

I used to use Google Voice as a backup number, but if I leave it idle, Google will reprovision the number to someone else. For the single big trip traveler like myself, I will get a new Google Voice number prior to a trip and pass that along to contacts, but it's way easier to just use my normal number.

I used to use Google Voice as a backup number, but if I leave it idle, Google will reprovision the number to someone else. For the single big trip traveler like myself, I will get a new Google Voice number prior to a trip and pass that along to contacts, but it's way easier to just use my normal number.
you can buy the number for life for a one time fee. I think its like $10 if I remember correctly.

I’m listed on the original Google Voice patent. I also worked on the OS for the original SIM. Dem was the days.

That’s awesome, I’m sure you have some epic stories

That’s awesome, I’m sure you have some epic stories
We had 2K of address space in the SmartCards we were using, so we opted to build our initial COS builds in 1989 in B. Most developers had never heard of it. (It was designed by Ken Thomson at Bell Labs). Getting instruction at Bell Labs in those days was absolutely epic!

My husband and I are planning our first Indo trip. We both have iPhones (11) with AT&T. In our past travels to Bonaire, we've turned ON airplane mode and just used wifi and wi-fi calling. Any reason why this won't work in Indo?

In our past travels to Bonaire, we've turned ON airplane mode and just used wifi and wi-fi calling. Any reason why this won't work in Indo?
Where will you stay in Indonesia most of the time, and do they offer adequately speedy wifi service there?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom