Anyone take along their laptop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boydski ...That was great !!!!

Most of the digital photographers I have talked to just use several cards. I think this is actually less expensive, but I like to be able to look at ( and show off ) my pictures!
As far as the cost thing goes its just about a wash if your buying Olympus Smartmedia cards.......For the cost of Two 128Mb cards you can just about get the Fotoshow (well at least now that the price is down on the Fotoshow)....and like you say the benefits outweigh the cost.

The other thing that bothers me when I hook the camera up to the TV.... I'm always waiting for someone to snag the video cable and the camera goes crashing to the floor.....

Scott

Hi,

Just wanted to say THANKS to all of you for this interesting info replying to my question!

I am always amazed at the friendly and helpful responses on the Scubaboard forums - but then we divers are the nicest people, right? :)

Happy picture taking!

Tricia:jester:

I drag my laptop. It's a small one, as laptops go. I shoot film, and probably will for a little while longer. My wife, however, has gone digital with a Nikon CP-995 in an Aquatica housing. I use a compact flash PC card adapter, (very cheap and no cables), to download to the laptop (I'm still the keeper of the cameras). The laptop makes it very easy to view and arrange photos into daily folders. I can do anything on my laptop that I can do on my desktop, so I don't have to wait until I get home to work with the digital pictures. In fact the laptop has Windows XP, so working with photos is a breeze. In XP you can view as a slideshow without having to launch another application. It also has a "filmstrip" feature that allows you to quickly go through a folder of photos and open selected photos to other applications like Photoshop. It will automatically install a slideshow, (if you want), when you save the photos to a CD. Since I can view onscreen, I don't have to "plug in" to a TV to view or show, but since the laptop has video out, I could if I wanted to. I also take some blank CDRs and archive every day. Since the laptop has an 18 gig hard drive, and I archive to CD, I could stay for months and never run out of space.

And something we'd all like to have. It's my preferrable choice but right now a new laptop isn't in the budget so I'm looking for a simple alternative.

Dee once bubbled...
And something we'd all like to have. It's my preferrable choice but right now a new laptop isn't in the budget so I'm looking for a simple alternative.

I do understand your dilemma, but I had the laptop before the digital. So for me it was a no-brainer. In fact I was considering a digital wallet for our last trip to Truk, but decided to use what I already had. After using it on the trip, I wouldn't do it any other way. Besides the original question by Tricia was if she should should take her laptop on here next trip. She then went on to ask:
snip
Do you take along your laptops when you travel? Is it worth the effort and risk of theft of the computer?

Yes I do, and yes it's worth the "small" risk. I do lock it up in the lockable hard case I carry my camera gear in.

Sorry, I'm guilty of something that drives me nuts...losing sight of the original threads subject and going off on a tangent.

Thanks for answering Tricia's question.

I have enough to carry with the dive equipment, the photo/video equipment so I opted for the Nixvue Digital Album - 10gb of storage and battery powered. Better yet, it fits in the palm of your hand and can be connected to the TV at night.

www.nixvue.com

Gerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom