Anyone take a non-dive rider to Ni'ihau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm taking my wife to Kauai in August for our 15th (at least that's what she thinks, it's really a dive trip! :D ).

I've talked her in to 6 days of either shore or boat dives and the trip to Ni'ihau. Since that is an all day trip I want to have her come along - she doesn't like water but loves boats and I know she'd love the trip, views and wildlife. However, since she won't be diving and isn't used to hanging out on dive boats I'd like to strike a nice compromise between her comfort and my dive experience, erring on the side of her comfort.

Aquamankauai and I have PMd back and forth and suggested Fathom Five because its most like what I'm used to when I dive warm water, smaller, more personal service. I talked to them and they're sending me a picture of their Ni'ihau boat. Really appreciate the candor and will probably do the boat / shore dives w/ Fathom Five but am not convinced their 35 Radon will provide the same kind of experience as the larger Seasport boat.

All that said - I'm interested to hear any feedback from people who have made the trip on what the thought of the boat, lunch, shady areas, etc and if they had a better experience on one boat vs another.

Thanks!

Brian.

I dove Ni'ihau with Bubbles Below last year on their 35' boat (they also brought a group of divers on their smaller catamaran hulled boat - I think they like to take two boats over there just in case something goes wrong, since it's very remote). The diving was absolutely fantastic (unbelievable underwater topography, friendly monk seals, fish everywhere, etc. etc.) and I will absolutely make the trip over there on subsequent visits to Kauai.

I didn't find the ride there to be quite as bad as it was billed to be, but it was a long, rough ride and a very long day. Though I don't typically get seasick, they pratically insisted that I take some medicaiton before the trip, which I did and sort of regretted since I've been in rougher water before and been fine. It probably didn't help that I thought the pill was chewable and crunched it up, only to find out it was a swallow it kind of pill - yuck!

I personally would not even consider making the trip if I wasn't going to dive. The topside sites are beautiful (I have a great pic of keyhole arch that I snapped that I'm still using as the background image on my iphone), but not beautiful enough to justify the beating you take going out and (primarily) coming back. I don't remember what we had for lunch, other than it being unremarkable picnic type fare. And I don't think the dive ops are allowed to land anywhere on the islands over there, so she'd be stuck all day on the boat and whatever shady areas it can provide.

Actually, now that I think about it, we did get to snorkel with a huge pod of friendly dolphins on one of our surface intervals. That experience alone was well worth the trip, but I don't think you can be guaranteed dolphins every time you visit (but who knows - maybe they're almost always there?).

So, for my money, I'd send my wife to the spa and/or shopping (which is what I did when I went and what I will do again next time).

And not to further muddy the water, but I couldn't be more pleased with Bubbles Below as a dive op. We've used them several times over the last 10 years or so and have always found them to be one of the friendliest and most safety conscious dive ops we use anywhere. I know people love fathom five around here too, so you probably can't go wrong either way.

Not sure how big Seasport's boat is. If it's significantly bigger and capable of handling the seas better it might change my mind, but it would take a pretty big boat not be slapped around by what I understand to be the prevailing conditions in that stretch of water.

I wouldn't recommend she spend all day on a small boat on a Ni'ihau trip.

Don't do it. Getting to Niihau is the easy part, but the Kaulakahi Channel is known for getting snotty in the afternoons, when you'll be returning to Kauai, and it's a ~3-hour trip. If Neptune decides he's in a pissy mood that day, divers will have a beastly time on the way back, guaranteed. I can't think what it would be like for a non-diver.

Hey Brian,

Let me know if you are getting all the answers you need re: niihau etc...

I've seen many snorkelers go over and have an amazing time. Not uncommon to get close encounters with monk seals and even rays time to time. The dolphin swims are relatively common over there as well.

The Niihau trip is in my opinion not always sold with full disclosure to the divers. Perhaps the responsibility should go both ways - it's often not researched by divers to know what they are getting into ; ).

"Sea legs" are an important consideration for sure. Last season in particular was pretty mellow for that crossing and we often made it back in about the same time as it took us to get over. We did however have a couple of runs that were rough and extended return trips. Those trips are pretty horrible sometimes on the small boats.

All divers should know that sometimes the trips are flat and calm with light winds and easy crossings (but not the norm). All divers should also know that sometimes the crossings are challenging (Divemaster lingo for Butt kicking) with the morning crossing almost never the guilty party. What you can count on is a 9-10.5 hr day, an approx 20 mile crossing, and some of the very best diving in Hawaii.

Don't forget... weather reports are available to you as well (as the divers ). Be self-informed about the expected weather/surf conditions. Surfnewsnetwork.com gives great daily updated reports on both. If there is large south swell it "can" certainly impact diving. Winds are the big consideration and 15-25 mph trade winds mean bumpy return trips.

hope this helps some. Anyone with questions about diving here on Kauai is always more than welcome to drop me a message. I will do everything I can to help you !

Have a great weekend - hope you are diving....

Thanks! My wife has some specific questions for you if you wouldn't mind. She actually ran into a woman here locally who has done the trip and she really encouraged my wife to do the trip.

Would you prefer to PM your email address to me so she can contact you directly or send her questions to you via PM?

Again - thanks for the offer to answer even more questions!! :D

Hey Brian,

Let me know if you are getting all the answers you need re: niihau etc...

I've seen many snorkelers go over and have an amazing time. Not uncommon to get close encounters with monk seals and even rays time to time. The dolphin swims are relatively common over there as well.

The Niihau trip is in my opinion not always sold with full disclosure to the divers. Perhaps the responsibility should go both ways - it's often not researched by divers to know what they are getting into ; ).

"Sea legs" are an important consideration for sure. Last season in particular was pretty mellow for that crossing and we often made it back in about the same time as it took us to get over. We did however have a couple of runs that were rough and extended return trips. Those trips are pretty horrible sometimes on the small boats.

All divers should know that sometimes the trips are flat and calm with light winds and easy crossings (but not the norm). All divers should also know that sometimes the crossings are challenging (Divemaster lingo for Butt kicking) with the morning crossing almost never the guilty party. What you can count on is a 9-10.5 hr day, an approx 20 mile crossing, and some of the very best diving in Hawaii.

Don't forget... weather reports are available to you as well (as the divers ). Be self-informed about the expected weather/surf conditions. Surfnewsnetwork.com gives great daily updated reports on both. If there is large south swell it "can" certainly impact diving. Winds are the big consideration and 15-25 mph trade winds mean bumpy return trips.

hope this helps some. Anyone with questions about diving here on Kauai is always more than welcome to drop me a message. I will do everything I can to help you !

Have a great weekend - hope you are diving....

Back
Top Bottom