Anyone stay at El Cid La Cieba Lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rje634

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I've bought the plane tickets, good deal BTW, 2 from Newark for $787.
But now I have to choose a place to stay, This is far from our first trip to Coz and we usually use timeshare trades as we are trying to do the same this time.
Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the El Cid lately, and what do you have to say about it.
Other choices are Occidental Grand, Sabor, Reef Club, and Coral Princess.

Any and all feedback is appreciated..

Food there sucks. There last Oct. Do a cozumel hotel search at www.calibex.com I found great deals there on hotels.

I would be going to El Cid on a timeshare trade (RCI) and would have to pay $50 per person per day for the "mandatory all-inclusive".
I would much rather pay less for the great restaurants in town...
Thanks

Hello Everyone,

Stayed at El Cid with my daughter in Oct for one week. We did not do the AI so we ate in town everyday. We did not even try to eat at the on-site restaurant, some of the people staying there said it was fine but expensive. I guess they paid for the meal instad of the AI plan.

They have a dive shop on site, it was nice, small fast boat, I think there were no more than six diver total in the boat, plus the Divemaster. The rates were fair, free shore dive for the stay. They have lockers, and fresh water shower and equipment dip tank.

The room was fair, we stayed in a studio, a queen bed with a murphy bed, small kitchen, fridge, and cold AC. I think all rooms have a view of the ocean. They have a pool and plenty of palapa with chairs.

We will be staying there between 13 - 19 June and again in Oct 2009.

I think you will enjoy your stay. We did, thats why we are going back. You can see the cruise ship to the south of the resort.

We stayed at El Cid in march. Did not do the all inclusive. Looked at the buffet but didn't look very good,but it may have been excellent. The room had ref., microwave, and a nonworking cook top. Friends we met had the same except cooktop worked. We dove with the diveshop Babieca and also with Martin that was located on the cruise ship pier about a 5-10 min. walk from El Cid. Really enjoyed our stay. Staff was very friendly. Of course the timeshare salesmen were there,but we just avoided them. You could probably get a good dive deal if you go through their sales pitch. Would I go back. Yes with a good deal, you betcha. Going back in June. Hope this helps.

la_diver -

When in June will you be staying at La Cieba. We will be there from 13 - 19, 2009 diving with Babieca on site dive shop.

Check with the dive shop as soon as you get there and book your dives because the boat would fill up at times. If that happens check with Dive with Martin, they usually have room for last minute divers. I think that Martin has 5 boats. Babieca has only one if I am not mistaken.

:hmmm: You should have done a poll maybe? Those 5 are the only ones you want to chose from, based on time-share trading...?

Food there sucks. There last Oct. Do a cozumel hotel search at www.calibex.com I found great deals there on hotels.
I don't know that our input will help him if he's limited to using those 5 time-share trades? I see great offers on some hotels and wonder about the AI option, but seldom hear good about them. I criticized the two AIs I tried before giving up on that, but I wonder what it is about them - just too much of the same day after day? I remember one of them serving air temp food with flies at the outdoor buffet and for the indoor buffet - when I couldn't find a waiter once and went back in the kitchen, it didn't look like they cooked on site? That's been years tho so not going to mention the name.

Interesting link. No dates were mentioned so I used the default date that site gave of May 24-26 and it quotes $101 for El Cid at one booking site. When I try to move the Price slide bar minimum to $70, if only gives me options of $50 or $100 minimum if I did that right? I'm more accustomed to searching on Sidestep.com which you might compare. Instead of listing the same property several different times at different booking sites with respective prices like your Nextag site, SS will list it once with a pull down on the various sites and prices. The results are pretty similar on hotels south of town from $50-100 other than El Cid, which Sidestep found for $81. SS will give you more control over minimum & maximum prices on the slide bar and not list the same hotel 5 different time with various prices.

Two problems with SS: it will include Playa del Carmen hotels and others within 100 miles unless you check "Cozumel only" and their info on map and distance is very wrong on several - like putting Villa Blana 36 miles east of town in the ocean. :shocked2: I have exchanges a few emails with them about that this week, but if you know where the hotels are, it's a hell of a search engine. Oh, I see that yours includes some PDC hotels too; I wonder how often Coz newbies book hotels on these sites only to learn that they have to take the ferry to Coz?

Check with the dive shop as soon as you get there and book your dives because the boat would fill up at times. If that happens check with Dive with Martin, they usually have room for last minute divers. I think that Martin has 5 boats. Babieca has only one if I am not mistaken.
I've wondered about booking the diving? I like to reserve my boat spaces in advance. With a small house Op like that one, I wonder if you could?

Good point on booking your dives. Wife sent e-mail today. We have the dive shop manager personal address. If anyone needs its let me know. Also Martin will pick you up at El Cid pier if the water is not to rough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom