Anyone selling a pony setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive got an AL 30 that i got with a couple tanks last year.. i hydro'd it when i got it, but its not been wet since. Will need a vis though as its been more than a year i think.

No regs.. and its not rigged ATM, but i"m happy to rig it for you if you want...

Let me know if you're interested.

Ive got an AL 30 that i got with a couple tanks last year.. i hydro'd it when i got it, but its not been wet since. Will need a vis though as its been more than a year i think.

No regs.. and its not rigged ATM, but i"m happy to rig it for you if you want...

Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks. I would be interested in the tank. Is it din or yolk? I can get it rigged here if you are interested in selling just the tank. Hydro was in 09? How much?

Thanks
Stuart

id go with the 30 for shore dives with any kind of walk johns 40 is heavy and pulls on the harness to much for me. load it with 50 and dont use till you pass 70 ft

id go with the 30 for shore dives with any kind of walk johns 40 is heavy and pulls on the harness to much for me. load it with 50 and dont use till you pass 70 ft

Yup, I am with you on that. I just got my 40 cu. ft. pony, ready to go with 50%. Don't plan to use it til passing 70 feet (on the way up!). I guess you could load it with 40% to get your MOD a bit lower, but the rich mix is a nice way to blow off that nitrogen on your safety stop and hopefully lower your risk of getting bent (been there, done that, don't want to go back there again!) :wink:

IMHO, 40-50% is a good compromise between having a bailout and also lowering your risk of getting bent by using it routinely 70 ft and up. I don't do overhead environments, so figure if something catastrophic where to happen to my primary air source at depth, I will be going to 70 ft immediately anyways.

I'd keep it at 40 unless you know that reg is cleaned and ready for 100% O2 service. Pretty much anything above 40% means 100% O2, no?

(Only putting a question mark there because I don't feel like citing my references.)

What happened to gas management, dive planning, and buddy awareness anyways?

What happened to gas management, dive planning, and buddy awareness anyways?
Hey Vin,

My answer to that would be; nothing. But what if Murphy takes one of those three away, wouldn't it be nice to know you still have at least three options?

I'm really surprised by so many people on SB with the opinion (and I'm not saying you do, I'm just making a general observation from reading several posts on ponies) that, if you dive with a pony, you're somehow being reckless and disregarding safe diving practices by doing so.

Some people dive Nitrox for an extra margin of safety, some people use a reel/SMB for safety, etc., etc.. Isn't that the point of a pony, too?

Not a great dive Saturday, but it was good to meet you.

you can never be too safe when it comes to your life or someone else's! a backup plan is always good...

Hey Vin,

My answer to that would be; nothing. But what if Murphy takes one of those three away, wouldn't it be nice to know you still have at least three options?

I'm really surprised by so many people on SB with the opinion (and I'm not saying you do, I'm just making a general observation from reading several posts on ponies) that, if you dive with a pony, you're somehow being reckless and disregarding safe diving practices by doing so.

Some people dive Nitrox for an extra margin of safety, some people use a reel/SMB for safety, etc., etc.. Isn't that the point of a pony, too?

Not a great dive Saturday, but it was good to meet you.

Yeah, but more gear = more drag, less time underwater, entaglement hazards, etc. It seems counter productive until deco diving. I mean, to each their own but it seems kinda odd to me for rec limit diving. You shouldn't be separated from your buddy so far that you don't have an alternate air source handy, and so deep that you can't do a CESA, and so over weighted you can't swim up with all your gear on.

The reel/smb thing is different, that's a surface marker for jetskis to race around, and it doesn't require vis/hydro/o-rings/fills/serving :wink:

Went out to howe sound yesterday, it was pea soup until 80', and night diving at 100'. Can't win em all.

Back
Top Bottom