Anyone read "Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

Has anyone read this book (by Jarrod Jablonski)? I'm thinking of buying it but want to hear some feedback (Amazon has none yet).

thanks

Ben

I ordered my copy through the GUE website and it came very quickly.

I'm in the process of reading it right now, probably about 3/4 of the way through. The advice and approaches to diving that they espouse are very soundly thought out, even though the tone of presentation is somewhat Taliban-esque. If you can get past that, it's a good read and will benefit any diver.

Just ordered it off Amazon - GUE's shopping cart was down. Thanks for the feedback.

I thought is was a good all around book. It pulls together a lot of information and presents it is a pretty basic way. I loaned it to a couple of friends who do a fair amount of tech diving and they weren't as impressed. It depends on the level you are looking at it from.

Buff, if you don't want to wait for the movie you can see the live action show next year. A couple of us are bringing in a GUE instructor to teach the Fundamentals course in May.

JoelW

I wouldn't mind reading it, but I wouldn't buy it.

I have a intstinctively negative reaction to anything that has the term "Right" in it. I view it more as a trend-particularly a marketing trend. I do appreciate the simplified approach to diving equipment arrangement and use.

Ask and you shall receive. :) The first link goes to a site that has DIR 1 and DIR 3 videos narrated by Irvine and some of his buds.

The second site has video clips of DIR in action. The site includes videos of various drills and techniques and allows people to see what all the fuss is about. The quality isn't perfect, but it's not too bad.

http://www.sfdj.com/dive/dir1.htm -- Download both DIR 1 and DIR 3. This is good stuff.

http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/classes/video

Take care.

Mike

PS. It doesn't matter to me what they call it (DIR, Hogarthian, The Irvine Arrogant Way) as long as it works as advertised -- which it does, flawlessly. :thumb:

If it is a marketing trend, it is not a very good one, all of the gear is bare bones basic, and does not break very much so no need to keep replacing it.

The companies that are run by the DIR folks, GUE, Halcyon, and EE are very close to the "walk your talk".

Halcyon makes the equipment.
EE sells it.
GUE is a research group that uses it.
WKPP is an org that uses it also.

Halcyon/EE could make a lot more money by making and selling all types of gear (stroke gear in their words) but they do not.

In my opinion top notch ideas, execution, and real life useage.

It is easy to get a lot of misconceptions on what dir is and means, this book is a good solid intro to the basics.

But like they say, it is always evolving and if they or someone else comes up with a better idea, they will use it without hesitation.

Tommy

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom