Anyone own an ATV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that a Yamaha? I have the day off rotations today, so I'm going to a big place up here in Columbus to drive some Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis. Should be a fun day. I hope I have enough strength to not buy one today.

spectrum:
Make sure the tires have a current HYDRO and ate O2 clean.

Pete

While this doesn't require O2 cleaning, you can actually have your tires filled with Nitrogen at many tire shops. The lack of oxygen keep the tires from heating up during use. This is common practice now for cars and has been in use by "race teams" for years.

My wife rides her 'little' Yamaha 660 Grizzley...I have a real quad...a 1946 Jeep Willys :D

The Yamaha's are first rate...as are the Zuks and Hondas...there really isn't going to be a major difference in quality among the big japanese 3. I would find the one that has the styling/performance/features that fit your budget. Also, for your sake and ours, buy something that fits your experience level.

Kevin

Well, glad to hear it! I picked up a used 2001 Yamaha Blaster (258cc) to start out on. I played all weekend and found that for the time being, it has plenty of get-up and fun to it. Now I just need to re-jet the carb since it wont idle.

Try "highlifter.com" then go to mud zone for an aswome ATV board.

KidK9:
Well, glad to hear it! I picked up a used 2001 Yamaha Blaster (258cc) to start out on. I played all weekend and found that for the time being, it has plenty of get-up and fun to it. Now I just need to re-jet the carb since it wont idle.

Unless the previous owner was playing musical jets it probably just needs a good cleaning.
The usually problem is that at some time it was left sitting with gas in it and the gas made varnish that clogged the jets. The idle jet is the smallest so it goes first.
Some time in a tank of carb cleaner will clear it. This also means taking the carb apart and replacing all the soft parts but the results are worth it.

If you don't want to mess with the toxic chemicals (carb cleaner is nasty stuff) any good shop will do the job and all you have to do is give them money. :eyebrow:

pipedope:
Unless the previous owner was playing musical jets it probably just needs a good cleaning.
The usually problem is that at some time it was left sitting with gas in it and the gas made varnish that clogged the jets. The idle jet is the smallest so it goes first.
Some time in a tank of carb cleaner will clear it. This also means taking the carb apart and replacing all the soft parts but the results are worth it.

If you don't want to mess with the toxic chemicals (carb cleaner is nasty stuff) any good shop will do the job and all you have to do is give them money. :eyebrow:

This is is probably EXACTLY the problem. People usually store their atv's for the winter but they forget to drop a treatment of STABL into the fuel mixture. Products like STABL will keep the fuel from varnishing and clogging up the delivery system.

Carb cleaner isn't toxic, it's just real good hand cleaner :D

I agree with those two!!! :D

Congrats on your new toy, man....just be careful until you get used to it! Those things go pretty darn fast and one sharp turn can cause a problem at first!!!!

Be safe!

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom