Anyone out there dive in Chile????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jakedahsnake

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am planning a month long trip to Chile and would love to get some dives in. I can find dive sites on the basic web pages with very little logistical information. Its hard to find information on actual locations, dive companies/operators, and specific dive details in English on anything in Chile. I know my Spanish should be better but does anyone out there live or dive in Chile or have information on the best dives????

Yea I've been here for 15 years now. I know some operators I could get you in touch with.
What part of Chile are you going to? Are you going to be traveling around or mostly in Santiago or something?

I did a couple of dives on Easter Island a couple of years ago...there were two dive ops there at the time

We are landing in Santiago but setting out the next day for a southern road trip. We have 24 days and were planning on driving south as far as Coyhaique and then back up the 40 in Argentina to Mendoza and then Santiago but we can change if there is good scuba somewhere else. It would work best if it was along the central or southern coast which I know is cold but it takes so much longer to get up to the better sights up North which is out of our way. Do you know of any GREAT one of a kind dives from La Serena down? Thank you for the response and I look forward to your input.

---------- Post Merged at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:29 AM ----------

OCDIVER thanks for your thoughts man. I wish we had the time and money to get out to Easter - I hear it is an epic sight but that will have to be for next time.

We are landing in Santiago but setting out the next day for a southern road trip. We have 24 days and were planning on driving south as far as Coyhaique and then back up the 40 in Argentina to Mendoza and then Santiago but we can change if there is good scuba somewhere else. It would work best if it was along the central or southern coast which I know is cold but it takes so much longer to get up to the better sights up North which is out of our way. Do you know of any GREAT one of a kind dives from La Serena down? Thank you for the response and I look forward to your input.

---------- Post Merged at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:29 AM ----------

"OCDIVER thanks for your thoughts man. I wish we had the time and money to get out to Easter - I hear it is an epic sight but that will have to be for next time.
" Try to go if you can..it is definitely amazing..but you'll love Chile--beautiful country

Easter Island is definitely where to go diving in Chile.

The thing about diving continental Chile is it's a lot like California, but without the kelp. You're in luck though, since most of the dive operations that I know of are based in Santiago and do most of their diving within a two hour drive from there.

The two places that I would recommend diving are Los Molles and Quintay. Both are small, isolated fishing/vacation towns near high biological productivity (upwelling) centers with biological diversity and diving conditions as good as it'll get in the region. Quintay's a good bit closer than Molles (only about an hour from Santiago on the highway to Valparaiso whereas Molles is right about a two hour drive north of Santiago. I think there's another op in Papudo, along the coast about half way between the two, near a sea lion & penguin colony, but I'd have to dig them up. Plus sea lions & penguins are all over the place.

Los Molles is the furthest of the three, but it's isolation is kind of it's charm. The town is very small, but since you'd be there in the high season it will be pumping. It is catered to by ScubaChile (Academia de Buceo Scuba Chile). These guys actually have some pretty cool videos of what you can expect to see there and in central chile on their website. They were trying to establish a marine reserve there, but I haven't heard anything new of it lately.

Quintay is probably a safer bet than molles. First of all it's a lot closer, but also it's a rather sheltered cove that doesn't get hit my the wind and swell as much as Molles resulting on more diveable days. Plus there are at least a old whaling wreck or two within recreational limits that they guys can take you to (the town used to be based around whaling back in the day and the old processing plant is now a museum). Also it was one of the first locally managed fisheries in Chile, so even the fishermen understand a bit about conservation. There are two op's in Quintay: Austral Divers (Austral Divers) and Buceo Quintay BUCEO QUINTAY - BIENVENIDO .

I don't have any experience with any of them, other than trying to find a wetsuit which none of them were able to help me with (I'm 6'4" in a land of midgets). I've seen all the op's from the outside and met some of the guys in person and they all seem to be on the level. They're all trying hard to promote diving and make a buck at it in their own way.

Let me know if you need anything else. Good luck and have a great trip. I hope you're planning on going to the torres del paine and perrito moreno. SO WORTH IT!!!!!!

WOW that was a ton of information and very much appreciated. We are now looking into flights to Punta Arenas and just renting a car there and driving back up to Santiago - which is more expensive but it allows us to see southern patagonia and gives us more time all around. So that means more time to fit in dives when we get back to Santiago area. I will look into these places for sure. I do know if there was diving that would allow us to see Penguins and sea lions we would be extremely interested since none of us despite having dove in many countries have seen either of those marine animals under water. So we will try and figure out which of those sights is the best opportunity for that type of underwater life.
Randini thanks again for all the help and Im sure being a giant in a land of midgets doesnt hurt so bad when it comes to the ladies. Good luck in what ever you do and safe diving.

Jake

You're welcome and have a great trip. If you need anything else, just send me a PM (I don't know how frequently I'll be checking this thread).

Don't expect to see the penguins underwater, they are very shy. You will probably see them from the boat though at any of the sites. The sea lions also tend to stay away, but in Quintay and Molles they might be more used to tourist divers in the water as opposed to just fishermen that usually shoo them off. I think there is a sea lion colony near Quintay, but you'd need a nice calm day to get there. Not sure about Molles, but there's got to be one somewhere up there.

Since you're going to Patagonia, I definitely recommend Perrito Moreno. It's a massive glacier over in Argentina and the town it's nearest to, Calafate, is really nice. I've been to Punta Arenas twice now, and never really liked it much. The city center is pretty and it's right on the Straight of Magellan, which is very cool for nostalgic reasons, but after a day I was always ready to leave. Puerto Natales, about 2-3 hours north (and the gateway to Torres del Paine) is much nicer as it's a little ecotourism town. Once there, go to Erratic Rock. It's a moutnaineering-ecotourism shop and hotel run by a couple of American brothers (IIRC). They and everybody in the shop know everything there is to do in the area and are very helpful. There's also a microbrewery in PN which is probably the best beer and pub-food I've had in Chile. I don't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it's located right on the plaza next to the Banco Estado. From PN it's only about 3-4 hour drive to Calafate.

Agree withRandini - your best bet for great diving in central Chile are Los Molles andthen Quintay.

You can get in touch in Los Molles with Atmosfera 4 run by Nico Repetto - hespeaks fluently English. Their website is under construction, but they have aFB page. Los Molles is easy to find, it is on Ruta 5 Norte - 189K north fromSantiago.

Quintay - I don't know Buceo Quintay but can recommend Austral Divers www.australdivers.cl(Sebastian and Max run the op. but I don't know how much English they speak)and also Buceamar run by Walter Soto - www.buceamar.cl . Quintay is on the way to Viñaand Valparaiso on Route 68.

If you like wrecks - but not so great vis, I recommend to get in touch withCarmen Gloria Belmar who can set you up with great dives in Valparaiso

I'll PM you phone numbers and/or mails so you can get in touch with them if youlike.

---------- Post Merged at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Last edited:
Randini mentions that Chile is like California but without the kelp. Although I've never been there, I've always read that kelp (Macrocystis) is indeed present in Chilean waters, at least in the south. Is that wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom