anyone know where to get cover for tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peejymvl

Registered
Reaction score
I know its like a dime a dozen for the mesh tank covers, but what about the neoprene ones?? I know they exist, just cannot find them, maybe not neoprene, they look like they are, just not sure. I want a cover for my tank, one that completely fits over tank top to bottom, minus the valve of course...am i crazy or have i seen them?

peejymvl once bubbled...
I know its like a dime a dozen for the mesh tank covers, but what about the neoprene ones?? I know they exist, just cannot find them, maybe not neoprene, they look like they are, just not sure. I want a cover for my tank, one that completely fits over tank top to bottom, minus the valve of course...am i crazy or have i seen them?

Yes they are made of neoprene. Your LDS can order one for you from somewhere like beaver sports. The'll cost about $15.

R..

peejymvl once bubbled...

Why would you want one? If you do get one you'll need to remove it after every dive to wash away debris and salt/sand from your dive that could damage your tank over time. I see it as just one more piece of gear to clean.

Neoprene tank cover ???

Hmmm ... what a concept. Put something on your tank to make it more buoyant.

I can understand someone's desire to want to protect their tank from dings and scratches ... tanks are expensive, and chipped paint can reduce the life of your tank (at least steel ones). But why neoprene?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...
Neoprene tank cover ???

Hmmm ... what a concept. Put something on your tank to make it more buoyant.

I can understand someone's desire to want to protect their tank from dings and scratches ... tanks are expensive, and chipped paint can reduce the life of your tank (at least steel ones). But why neoprene?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, I can say this. The neoprene cover keeps the cam-band nice and tight and it actually helps keep the tank from getting banged up. And it works way better than a net. 250 grams of extra buoyancy isn't much to pay for the better protection you get.

R..

I'm with Wendy here.

If your cam band is not tight enough, fix it.

If you don't inspect the tank for corrosion, you are getting yourself into a potetially serious problem.

Scratched tanks are a sign of a diver that dives!

detroit diver once bubbled...

Scratched tanks are a sign of a diver that dives!

You mean you don't spend your weekdays painting and polishing your tanks????

On a related matter, I wouldn't suggest a cover for your tank at all....I think they are a PITA...you have to resize the straps on your BC or BP, they offer no advantage other than keeping the tank looking nice, and I think they look tacky...

As for neoprene...you are just adding more lead to your belt by adding something bouyant to your rig....

:wink: Wrap the whole thing in Duct tape! That will protect it while keeping it dry and no extra bouyancy!:wink:

Seriously:
I have to go with the general consensus here...wraps really dont protect your tank from anything in the long run. Kinda like those bras people put on their cars. Eventually the vibration causes the cover to "haze" the front of your car. That is what the Cover on a tank eventually does. Only mix in some salt, sand and silt and its even more abrasive. I prefer bare metal tanks myself, but I do have a yellow tank that has so much paint chipped off I look like I have been diving for over 50 years....it looks so cool!

If you are having trouble with your cam band snugging up and its new, try soaking it in a bucket of warm water with about a quarter ounce of fabric softener for an hour. Then rinse it real good (you can tell its rinsed well when that pretty smell is almost gone) and soak it overnight in clear water. That will take most of that new strap slip out.

:spaninq:

I use the plastic mesh nets on my 4 AL80s, and just slip them off before I attach my bc. No scratches during transport, and the tank bands fit perfectly. I got my tanks in 99, and they look almost new.

I dive 4-7 days a week.

Works for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom