Anyone Know the Florida Keys well?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mixedpuppy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to take a flight to the Keys and looking for unfilled Dive boats to take Day Dives in the West Keys or somewhere in the Keys. Does anyone have recommendations on where in the keys to take trips and where to stay and which charters offer the better rates and dives?

Thanks

There seems to be a consensus among the folks I speak with that the middle to upper keys are the best. Key West is not necessarily prime diving. Key Largo, with the John Pennekamp Park has many "shallow" dives. Some very nice, but deep wrecks, are off Islamorada or Tavernier.

You might have received better answers overall if you'd posted this in the Florida forum, but maybe a Moderator will move it for you.

How well do you know The Keys? Your use of a term "West Key" makes me wonder if you mean Key West, or don't know them well at all? Here's a link to The Official Tourism Council Web Site for the Florida Keys! And you can click the map below for a larger view.

Are you going to Key West? I went there my first trip as it is the most famous, but haven't been back, even tho I have been to Key Largo and the Middle Keys many times since. I even flew into Key West, as it wasn't as expensive then. For my subsequent trips, I've flown into Miami (MIA) or Ft.Laudedale (FLL), then drove the 60-80 miles to Key Largo, up to 100 more to Key West.

How many ocean dives have you logged? Are you looking for reef dives? With a Dive Master in the water? Do you have a Nitrox card? How many days you planning on visiting and diving?

Give us some more info on what you want to do and are up to doing and maybe we can give you better suggestions? :palmtree:

Mixedpuppy:
Hi,

I am planning to take a flight to the Keys and looking for unfilled Dive boats to take Day Dives in the West Keys or somewhere in the Keys. Does anyone have recommendations on where in the keys to take trips and where to stay and which charters offer the better rates and dives?

Thanks

I have just returned from the Keys and your questions are the same ones I had.

Key Largo is closer to the Gulf Stream than Key West. As you go "south" towards Key West the dive sites are farther off shore, so longer boat trips. Runoff from the Everglades clouds the water so the vis at Key West is about 20' LESS than at Key Largo, all other conditions equal.

Key Largo is Dive Central. Just 15 miles south seems a little prettier. Boat trips run from $50.00 to $70.00 for a 2 tank half day dive. The difference in price is boat size, customer service (help with tanks, head, etc.). I went on small boats (6 Packs) and a large boat (20 divers). I enjoyed both for different reasons. At the reefs there were usually other boats, so my boat size did not really affect the numbers of divers on the reef as much as total boats. My buddy and I could be alone in either case, or be joined by divers from other boats.

Finding an open slot on a boat is not a problem as the total number of operators is large. Captain Slates has large boats but is a class operation. He was the driving force behind the Spiegel Grove. Horizon Divers is a small operation which I also enjoyed. Have fun.

Cagemaker

I was in the Keys in early May. Silentworld in Key Largo has a very fast boat and reasonable priced. Also dove with Rainbow Reef in Tavernier, they are a very casual charter. Also dove with Captain Cooks in the Middle Keys, they are a friendly bunch as well.

Everyone said Key West was the worst place to dive in because of all the cruise ships going through it.

Mixedpuppy:
Hi,

Thanks

I am writing this from Key Largo as I am diving here now. Key Largo is best bet for diving as that is where you both access to the park and the wrecks (Dwayne and Bibb etc). I would very much recommend the folks at Quiescence (http://www.keylargodiving.com/index.html).
They take no more than 6 on a boat, no cattle crowd here. A 2 tank dive will cost you $55.00. They will take you where you want to go.
Excellent service and people as they really spoil you. I received their recommendation from people on this board. That is my 2 cents worth.

I went to http://www.tropicvistadiveresort.com/ in April, real good prices, I think we got 9 dives and 4 or 5 nights for for under $400 with group discount I think, but really not bad. Boat is uncrowded, run by a father and son, couple old ladies run the motel part, leaves from right outside your room and goes to all the major dive sites there, I'd check them out, its on islamorada between largo and marathon

Just to clear up a misconception...

The reef line runs about 4-6 miles offshore all the way down the keys. The best reef diving is actually Looe Key Reef which is off the Big Pine/Ramrod/Cudjoe area from MM 31-24. If you are interested, and capable, of diving the deeper wrecks, Key Largo/Tavernier is the place to be although there are a couple wrecks that are well worth diving further down the keys.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom