Anyone know of freshwater springs in Miami?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matrox

Registered
Reaction score
There used to be flowing freshwater springs up until the early 1900's in Biscayne Bay and the Miami area. I'm trying to document the few remaining springs? Does anyone know of any springs in South Florida from the Biscayne aquifer?

Don't know if they are from the biscayne aquifer, but heard there area couple springs in hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale that people used to dive back in the 60's and 70's

In Coral Gables there's a fresh water pool that's spring fed. The name slips my feeble mind. Even today you can join. Somebody will tune in on this...

You are talking about the lovely Venetian pool in the Gables. Very nice but very cold water. Rumor does have it that it is spring fed. Don't know for sure but there wasn't any chlorine in it when I went swimming.

Dive4Life:
You are talking about the lovely Venetian pool in the Gables. Very nice but very cold water. Rumor does have it that it is spring fed. Don't know for sure but there wasn't any chlorine in it when I went swimming.
YUP!! That's the place!

Cool. Do you know where these springs are or used to be?

Scuba_Jenny:
Don't know if they are from the biscayne aquifer, but heard there area couple springs in hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale that people used to dive back in the 60's and 70's

Matrox:
Does anyone know of any springs in South Florida from the Biscayne aquifer?

travelers report that, south of Lake Mayami, and following the river
that bore the same name, at various unknown locations, many such pools
of fresh water can be found.

One, refered to only as "Best Western," is particularly well known for a pool
of fresh water that mysteriously replenishes itself.

Another, at a certain location known as the "Marriott Airport," is mentioned by
exant authorities as the location of such a mysterious pool of water.

(ok, so i had too much chocolate for lunch)

Matrox:
Cool. Do you know where these springs are or used to be?
I heard one is on 14th either street or Ave, however I dont know if its ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood. Sorry, can't be of much more help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom