Anyone know anything about this old Dacor BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Someone just gave me this old Dacor BC. Can anyone give me an idea of the years it was made? It seems to be in fine shape, everything works and even has a charged CO2 cart, which I have removed. The LP inflator hose quick connect is different than the common one now, does anyone have a LP hose that they would like to part with or know where I might find one?
I am thinking about diving it occasionally if I can find an appropriate reg to go with it.

Looks to be mid 70's vintage. I had its direct competitor, a U.S. Diver Calypso when I started diving many moons ago. The CO2 cartridge was to be used on the surface. This BC was made when "power inflators" were an option. You could use it without if you cannot come up with the proper LP hose. You might try posting and inquirey on this board http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/ If anybody could turn up an LP hose for it, they could.

Jim

This BCD and inflator was mid to late 70s. If you will pm me I think that I might have the hose you need.

herman:
Someone just gave me this old Dacor BC. Can anyone give me an idea of the years it was made? It seems to be in fine shape, everything works and even has a charged CO2 cart, which I have removed. The LP inflator hose quick connect is different than the common one now, does anyone have a LP hose that they would like to part with or know where I might find one?
I am thinking about diving it occasionally if I can find an appropriate reg to go with it.

I had what you need in my hand the other day. I never throw vintage stuff away so I think I still have it but may be wrong. I looked around in the dark and didn't see it but give me until I can search in the daylight tomorrow afternoon.

I have the stablemate of that BC purchased best I can remember circa 74. The one I have uses the same inflator but has an upper CO2 bladder that encircles the neck--the horsecollar-- and a lower bladder that also incorporated a pocket. This bladder is the one operated by the inflator. Thus it was a dual bladder BC. I still have and dive mine when I dive vintage. The inflator hose is not compatible with modern units and I am not sure where another could be found. N

Thanks all. The BC is in almost new condition. The LP valve is leaking but I suspect a good cleaning and maybe some new Orings will fix that. I was a little confused at first, I did not realize it had 2 bladders. I had inflated it with the CO2 bladder oral inflator and was trying to deflate it with the normal deflator. Both bladders hold air and after cleaning, the overpressure valves work fine. I have an old plastic backplate, tank,mask to go with it, now if I can find a reg of the correct vintage I will be set. The BC also came with 2 pairs of fins, on old set of Dacor Torbo II s and a set of almost new US diver rockets that are in perfect shape.

Tom, PM sent.

herman:
Thanks all. The BC is in almost new condition. The LP valve is leaking but I suspect a good cleaning and maybe some new Orings will fix that. I was a little confused at first, I did not realize it had 2 bladders. I had inflated it with the CO2 bladder oral inflator and was trying to deflate it with the normal deflator. Both bladders hold air and after cleaning, the overpressure valves work fine. I have an old plastic backplate, tank,mask to go with it, now if I can find a reg of the correct vintage I will be set. The BC also came with 2 pairs of fins, on old set of Dacor Torbo II s and a set of almost new US diver rockets that are in perfect shape.

Tom, PM sent.

Now you need an old Dacor Olympic regulator to use with it. I think the model 400 was top of the line. I had the 100. It was my first reg.

Jim

Thanks Jim.
I have a Sherwood from around 84 but looks like is need something a little older. I like the looks of the crome plated regs.....well what I actually want is a double hose reg but those are hard to come by at a good price. I have a Nimrod plastic backpack, anyone know if that's an appropriate vintage BP to go with this BC?

This picture shows the dual bladder dacor BC I was talking about. The lower section contains the inflator powered bag used for bouancy compensation (black) and the upper section (orange) contains a bag that is inflated by a CO2 cartridge. Long ago when I was cave diving a bunch I cut the inflator into two pieces so that the deflate collar was on the end of the hose and moved the inflator section down to the elbow. It had been on the end of the hose. This works much better and allowed me to hit the inflator without reaching around looking for a dangling hose. This BC is still functional and has been used recently. N

Quick question. I got a pair of old Dacor horsecollar bc's a few months back. They were owned by an adult male, but they seem pretty damned small to me(and I'm smaller than he was). They only cover my chest. Is this a normal adult fitting?
My bc's also have a manual-only inflation hose, where you have to press the nozzle in to open the valve. I was thinking about swapping one of my old Seatec jacket inflators with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom