Anyone know anything about Dolphin Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finerhomes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I met a guy that wants to sell his Dolphin cylinder. I search for information, but only found that the company no longer exists. I can not find anything about the tanks that the built. This guy is selling 2 - steel LP 95's and 2 - steel LP 80's. The original hydro was in 1993, but they look like brand new. He tells me that he bought them new and only dove 4 times with them and then they have bee sitting in his garage ever since. Has there been any problems with Dolphin tanks? Why did they go out of business? Does anyone know an estimated value for the tanks? They obviously will need a hydro, should I be concerned that they might not pass? Does any one know the spec on Dolphin tanks? Any info that you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks

Dolphin was a distributor that sold tanks made by other manufacturers. The steels were mostly made by Coyne, and if so will be marked with a "C" inside a diamond. Coyne is now part of Taylor Wharton, and out of the scuba business for some years now. However, since they are LP tanks that is not really a problem.

If you can post the markings here we can tell you more.

I met a guy that wants to sell his Dolphin cylinder.

Dolphin was a distributor that sold tanks made by other manufacturers. The steels were mostly made by Coyne, and if so will be marked with a "C" inside a diamond. Coyne is now part of Taylor Wharton, and out of the scuba business for some years now. However, since they are LP tanks that is not really a problem.

If you can post the markings here we can tell you more.

I was searching for some info on Dolphin tanks and came across this old thread.

My tank is Dolphin stamped: DOT 3AA2400 and a "C" inside a diamond, so it sounds like a Coyne. Original hydro mark is 3^93+
Dimensions are about 24" x 7.25". Weight full is 41.5lbs.

Would the buoyancy characteristics be similar to a PST LP-80, which is -6.3lb full to 0.5lb empty?

I'm puzzled because I was able to remove about 4lbs of weight from my belt when I dive this tank compared to my old steel 71.2 (-5.4lb, 0lb). Makes we think the Coyne tank is somehow more negative than a similar PST LP-80.

Thanks for any further info on the Coyne tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom