anyone know a good wreck instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waygone79

Registered
Reaction score
I am relatively new to diving but I just finished up my AOW and am a huge history buff the reason I got into diving was to check out wrecks. Early on I heard that if your found a instructor you like then stay with them witch I have so far but he is a big cave diver and that is just not my cup of tea I might check it out but not for awhile. But before I digress my question is if anyone knows a good wreck observation and wreck penetration instructor? I live just outside of Nashville, TN and obviously the closer the better I am working on improving my skills as well as raising my level of certification and experience as money permits, my instructor is looking for a good wreck instructor for me as well as there are a few of us locally who expressed an interest but anyways any help is greatly appreciated! thanks Greg

waygone79:
I am relatively new to diving but I just finished up my AOW and am a huge history buff the reason I got into diving was to check out wrecks. Early on I heard that if your found a instructor you like then stay with them witch I have so far but he is a big cave diver and that is just not my cup of tea I might check it out but not for awhile. But before I digress my question is if anyone knows a good wreck observation and wreck penetration instructor? I live just outside of Nashville, TN and obviously the closer the better I am working on improving my skills as well as raising my level of certification and experience as money permits, my instructor is looking for a good wreck instructor for me as well as there are a few of us locally who expressed an interest but anyways any help is greatly appreciated! thanks Greg

There are several who frequent this board who have good reputations. My guess is that you won't hear from them until you get more experience.

No disrespect intended, but its akin to a newly licensed driver asking for the name of a good Indy Car driver-instructor. Keep diving, have fun, read, dive some more, and after a few hundred dives, then consider wreck/cave diving...plus its good to have that goal out there to look forward to.

I too am interested in wreck diving. However, one must understand that is probably the hardest form of sport diving, with the greatest chance of "accidents".

To that end, I will be certifying:

Advanced
Cavern
Cave 1 and 2
Tech 1 and 2
Deco
Nitrox
probably Trimix because the fun wrecks are deep.

Before I penetrate wrecks. Because of their instability, you'll need or want more than one exit route from a wreck. And you'll want to have a team of divers to do it with. It's risky business.

I figure it'll take 4-5 years before I am ready.and probably 300+ dives. Doing it before you are truly ready is a fast way into a bodybag.

For a second, from the title, i was going to recommend my ex wife...she cant drive for doodoo.....but you meant diving

PerroneFord:
I too am interested in wreck diving. However, one must understand that is probably the hardest form of sport diving, with the greatest chance of "accidents".

To that end, I will be certifying:

Advanced
Cavern
Cave 1 and 2
Tech 1 and 2
Deco
Nitrox
probably Trimix because the fun wrecks are deep.

Before I penetrate wrecks. Because of their instability, you'll need or want more than one exit route from a wreck. And you'll want to have a team of divers to do it with. It's risky business.

I figure it'll take 4-5 years before I am ready.and probably 300+ dives. Doing it before you are truly ready is a fast way into a bodybag.

Well - I'd recommend looking at your training agency specs before you get too committed to that schedule. For one thing, Cave 1 & 2 and Tech 1 & 2 are both GUE courses, and encompass Cavern, Deco and Trimix as part of the curriculum already.

Otter:
No disrespect intended, but its akin to a newly licensed driver asking for the name of a good Indy Car driver-instructor.

So you're saying the Skip Barber style, come-on-and-be-a-big-boy mentality might be inappropriate in diving? Who'd have thunk it!

Boogie711:
Well - I'd recommend looking at your training agency specs before you get too committed to that schedule. For one thing, Cave 1 & 2 and Tech 1 & 2 are both GUE courses, and encompass Cavern, Deco and Trimix as part of the curriculum already.

It was meant to be a generic curriculum. I'd recently looked at GUE's programs, but TDI or IANTD, or others have progressions that I'd want to follow before penetrating wrecks.

thanks for the good info guys i am allready nitrox certified and read everthing i posibly can about mix gasses/ procedures and generally anything i can on this type of diving. my plan is to have roughly 500 dives before i start working toward wreck diving I have done all my certifications thru NAUI thus far but I like GUE's phillosiphys and practices. I am just in the neverending search for knowledge is all. if anyone knows and reading material that is benificial let me know or any specifics i shoulf focus on when i practice( i am in a pool once or twice a week and at least one OW dive a month as time and money permits). thanks agin guys

PerroneFord:
It was meant to be a generic curriculum. I'd recently looked at GUE's programs, but TDI or IANTD, or others have progressions that I'd want to follow before penetrating wrecks.

Let us know when you get your cavern cert, so we can ask for your revised progression :wink:

cavern should be done this summer (money is the big issue for me being a broke college student) I have been buying equipment tailored to this type of diving, I did all my checkout dives with my halcyon back plate and wing and just got my hands on a atomic M1 setup i am looking into a set of doubles next but i have to work on my air consumption (and quit smoking) I know this is a little off topic but i notice when i dive air my consumtion is quite a bit higher then when i dive with nitrox i actually get about a 1/3 more time out of nitrox then air, I havent calculated my sac recently but it gets better wth every dive, anyone else evern noticed this or am i just a freak of nature (j/k) thanks guys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom