Anyone Interested in Lionfish hunting up North after the regularly scheduled dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, all this talk of Lion taming reminds me of a story. The place was Cozumel. In order to not alienate anyone, the DM and operation shall remain nameless.

We were out on a fairly crowded boat. The DM had taken a Lionfish, had it in a plastic bag and was getting ready to take it somewhere locally for examination. One of the divers
expressed dismay (that's putting it mildly) about what she perceived as unethical treatment of said fish. She was really ragging on the DM about how it should be killed quickly,
humanely, etc, etc, blah blah blah. She was also about 8-10" taller than the diminutive DM. The DM has a great sense of humor and after listening to the rant about his unethical
behavior, he replied "No no no... sometimes I like to take deem shopping, den to de bull fights, maybe get a dreenk, DEEN I KEEL DEM!" I almost fell overboard laughing.
Shortly thereafter, she was exiting from the head and came face-to-face with the DM. She just glared at him. After she walked away, the DM looked at my wife, laughing,
and said "She beeeg" Again, almost overboard...

^^ hahahaha :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

(PS: merfman, I was thinking of you last night as I went to sleep.... the Awesome-O episode was on TV, lol)

I brought down a couple of these as gifts for two of my DM friends. This is what a lot of us are using. I say, "us" but I don't use them as much as my buds. Talk about multitasking...camera, reel, speargun...enough!!

Aquacraft Bandito Deluxe Travel Pole Spear w/Case for Spear Fishing - : House of Scuba
speargun8.jpg

OR:
sling2.jpg

Deluxe Travel Pole Spear discounts on sale Trident

OR:
sling1.jpg

5_5 Ft Travel Sling discounts on sale Trident

I am Awesome-O, Lame.

If I like spearing which I most likely will, I might get a better spear. For now I am just a vacation diver and usually in a marine park and as such haven't really used em yet. But we shall see :D

Alright... I'm putting together a great trip for spear hunting lionfish this Saturday Morning or Afternoon depending on the majority's schedule. This will be a two tank trip. DM's experienced in lion fish hunting will be with us and are willing to teach new spearo's (divers) if you want their help. This will not take place in the marine park and we'll be hitting locally known hot-spots, so we expect to run into a few of the pretty little buggers.. AND! If you are interested in eating your kills (or mine), we'll be cooking them up after the dives.

Those interested, please PM me or find me soon around the hotel.

I took Ramasule and Pans Siren for a rip to San Juan and Canterell with Scuba Mau as the dive op and Gabi Loco was our dive master. We got 25 edible ones and several juveniles. We also ate some lobster and crab. That was a lot of fun.
During the week I killed over 50 Lion fish myself. I am happy how the reefs are with the population check of the Lion Fish via the hunts that are done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom