anyone here use steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys im curious to try steel tanks. anyone here try em? is there anything getting used to or i can just slap em on? of course i know there is some getting used to the more neg properties of the tank to consider. also weighting would drop? anything else i should be contemplating?

Spoon,

I can't really think of much else. For me, the biggest difference when switching to steel was the loss of weight. I dropped about 4 lbs. per tank when switching from an AL80 to a steel 85. I'm sure others will have other considerations for you.

J75:
Spoon,

I can't really think of much else. For me, the biggest difference when switching to steel was the loss of weight. I dropped about 4 lbs. per tank when switching from an AL80 to a steel 85. I'm sure others will have other considerations for you.

yeah ive heard. so what exactly are the benefits of using steel over al aside from the durability standpoint and weighting issues?

Depends on which steel you're talking about. Going from an AL80 to a Steel 72 or LP85 shouldn't involve anything more than just leaving some weight behind. If you're going to a HP72 or an LP95 or 104, though, the weight change is about 10-12 pounds and the shift from having it on a belt to having it on your back will make your trim noticeably different. Not a problem, just different, and it'll take you a few minutes to get used to it.
--
The benefits are (1) less weight; less total weight, (2) better trim, and (3) more gas (maybe). Disadvantages are cost and care - the interior of a steel tank will rust (worse than an AL tank will corrode) if any salt water gets in there, like if a shop rat begins a fill on a tank with some salt water still in the valve orifice (from spray on the boat).
Rick

Less weight on your weight belt, usually less weight on my back. My steel 120 weighs about the same as my AL 100s. One concern with the larger tanks though is that depending on your exposure protection you may lose too much weight off your weight belt. With my 3mm in fresh water I'm just about neutrally bouyant with my 120 and no weight at all. Then add weight to counteract the increase in bouyancy as the tank empties and I would be overweighted if I had a bc failure. Just something to keep in mind.

Rick Murchison:
Depends on which steel you're talking about. Going from an AL80 to a Steel 72 or LP85 shouldn't involve anything more than just leaving some weight behind. If you're going to a HP72 or an LP95 or 104, though, the weight change is about 10-12 pounds and the shift from having it on a belt to having it on your back will make your trim noticeably different. Not a problem, just different, and it'll take you a few minutes to get used to it.
--
The benefits are (1) less weight; less total weight, (2) better trim, and (3) more gas (maybe). Disadvantages are cost and care - the interior of a steel tank will rust (worse than an AL tank will corrode) if any salt water gets in there, like if a shop rat begins a fill on a tank with some salt water still in the valve orifice (from spray on the boat).
Rick

im only using an al bp right now. im actually weighted perfectly but the main reason why i considering steels is bec of their long standing durabilty.

Spoon:
im only using an al bp right now. im actually weighted perfectly but the main reason why i considering steels is bec of their long standing durabilty.
Hmmm... Durability hasn't really factored into my reasons yet. I much prefer to use steel tanks, especially in cold water, because the weight I'd have to carry with AL would be a major PITA, while with steels I can get away with 10 pounds or less. Zero with doubles.
I own several AL tanks that date back to the 80's (my oldest steel is from '67). The only tank I've ever had fail hydro was a steel manufactured in '73, but I got that as a gift so there's no telling what it had been through. I honestly think that well maintained AL tanks (mine) will likely outlast me... and durability isn't really an issue.
Anyway, I like and recommend steel tanks for diving. They just feel better.
Rick :)

Rick Murchison:
Hmmm... Durability hasn't really factored into my reasons yet. I much prefer to use steel tanks, especially in cold water, because the weight I'd have to carry with AL would be a major PITA, while with steels I can get away with 10 pounds or less. Zero with doubles.
I own several AL tanks that date back to the 80's (my oldest steel is from '67). The only tank I've ever had fail hydro was a steel manufactured in '73, but I got that as a gift so there's no telling what it had been through. I honestly think that well maintained AL tanks (mine) will likely outlast me... and durability isn't really an issue.
Anyway, I like and recommend steel tanks for diving. They just feel better.
Rick :)

i wouldnt have even considered steel if it werent for the comment of DA AQUAMASTER in my other thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=121329&page=2, now im really curious and confused bout my upcoming tank purchase. plus the fact that steel tanks arent so popular and accessible here as compared to the states.

i guess iwth any piece of gear, good maintenance and care is the key. i guess i might get them al80's afterall. thanks uncle rick:)

i used steel tanks for the 1st time yesterday... apparently aquav uses steel...

i also dropped 2lbs off my belt and was still generally heavy at dept (maybe could have afforded to drop another 2 but didn't)

so i guess the answer would be: you use steel anyway on a regular basis... are you asking this in line with your projected doubles purchase?

Jag

Spoon:
i wouldnt have even considered steel if it werent for the comment of DA AQUAMASTER in my other thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=121329&page=2, now im really curious and confused bout my upcoming tank purchase. plus the fact that steel tanks arent so popular and accessible here as compared to the states.

i guess iwth any piece of gear, good maintenance and care is the key. i guess i might get them al80's afterall. thanks uncle rick:)
Well... he's in cold water all the time. I do have and dive a set of AL80 doubles in the Gulf in the summer, when conditions are a lot like the PI and I'm just in a bathing suit or a half-mil. Just rinse 'em off with fresh water at the end of the day and clean the little bit of corrosion that does happen under the bands once a year. I reckon they'll last another 20 years...
That said, I think the very best doubles - from a buoyancy/trim point of view - for the tropics is a set of old 72's, or in new tanks, E7-100's.
If I decide to get any more tanks, they'll be E7-100's for that reason.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom