Anyone here dived both Ambon and Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divv

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. I have posted a similar thread in the PPD section, but they recommended I post here as well - mods pls don't remove???
I am planning a dive trip for April/May 2008. I will be doing a liveaboard to Raja Ampat - YAY! - but because the flights from South Africa are pretty pricey, I want to extend my trip by another week or so.
I am looking at various options not TOO far away (read: fairly cheap to get to), and think my best options are Ambon (Lion Air flies there from Sorong) or Southern Leyte in Philippines (since with Cebu Pacific flights to Manila from Sing are ridiculously cheap!).
S Leyte gives the potential of whalesharks, which would be great, but since one can never guarantee these things, I want the great diving too.
Anyone who can may have dived both and can help me with my decision?
Thanks!
divv

Ambon had in its early the days some of the premier diving in Indonesia but closed down when there was a little trouble there. Everything calmed down there nw and things are nive pleasant and very peaceful. Operators both land based and Live-aboards are now back in there and from reports the diving is spectacular. Ir really depends what you are looking for certainly not much of whale sharks but lots of another wonderful stuff including some great critters being found. You could also look at diving in Manado either from the mainland or from Bunaken, I feel all places you are looking at offer great diving, just need to decide on what you want to see. You can fly from Sorong direct to Manado as well with Lion air as well and then with SILK air direct to Sinagpore (saves an extra flight and country).

Thanks Wayan. I should have mentioned that I've already done Manado, Bunaken, Lembeh twice, so am looking for something new..

Thanks Wayan. I should have mentioned that I've already done Manado, Bunaken, Lembeh twice, so am looking for something new..

Ambon could well be the place for you then. Great diving and has just really opened up again this year with the number of divers steadily increasing and so far have heard any grumblings about the diving, A couple of nice resorts either based on the mainland or on some of the small islands near Ambon. A number of live-aboards are now operating out of Ambon as well between March to End of April.

I second Wayan's Ambon recomendation, I was there last May, diving was excellent-sharks, pelagics, good critter action in Ambon Bay. It was much better than Bohol Philippines, I was there in 2006. Don't know too much about Southern Leyte, might be good with the deep water nearby. But judging by the population of the P.I., it's hard to be optimistic about any part of the country being in balance...

Thanks folks! Appreciate the input. Silent Running - who did you dive with? Maluku?

Thanks folks! Appreciate the input. Silent Running - who did you dive with? Maluku?

Yes, Mario was the manager there and couldn't have been nicer. Excellent diver and made sure every detail was taken care of, including flights and logistics for our rebreathers.

Greetings.... I did a 12 night liveaboard this past April on the Archapelago Adventure II out of Ambon. We did the Spice Islands and it was outstanding. I can send you my dive report if your interested.
Phil

Greetings.... I did a 12 night liveaboard this past April on the Archapelago Adventure II out of Ambon. We did the Spice Islands and it was outstanding. I can send you my dive report if your interested.
Phil

HI Phil,

Would love to read your trip report.

Back
Top Bottom