Anyone have experience with this torch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingShane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am seeking to buy a torch for the first time. I plan to generally use it during the day when I'm going through swim throughs, wrecks, open caves and under ledges. After some initial research, it appears I want a narrow beam for this sort of thing (although the torch in question also sells a wide angle). My only experience with torches are the rentals the scuba shops give me when I go on a night dive.

I"m currently in Hong Kong (on the way to Thailand and then the Philippines for diving). I can always wait to pick up a torch in Bangkok, but walked by a dive shop here (can't believe it - they actually have diving in HK?!?) Anyway... they have this torch on offer for $98USD Diving Express Online Shop
The online site is not the scuba shop - but it was the only link I could find to the reviews/specs.

I can't find any other info on this torch. The shop is legit, bunch of cool divemasters in there and it's well maintained, etc. But with no internet reviews, I wonder if I'm getting some sort of cheap knockoff rather than a nice torch.

I want a small handheld torch - and I like the idea of the button rather than the twist for on/off. I realize it may be more prone to leaking, but I hold a camera in my other hand and always found needing 2 hands to mess with the light to be annoying. Of course, I might find a $100 flooded torch to be more annoying! So speak up if I'm making a mistake here.

The light offers 900 lumes and 20 degrees. Seems very high in comparison to the other lights out there and at a decent price. But I always say, you get what you pay for - so I'm just wondering if buying in HK is not the way to go.

Oh, and one more thing - if you think I should take a pass, last shot to pick up a torch is Bangkok. I know they have some scuba shops there, just not sure about the variety of choice. So if you think I should wait - do you also think I'll be presented with better/more options in Bangkok?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom