Anyone have any experience with the Olympus 12-40 yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Re the 12-50 -- I'm using the Oly housing with the flat port -- should I get a different one?

Also, unless I "know" it is a macro dive, my plan is to have it in manual zoom (I have the Austrian zoom ring) and have the Oly "macro wet lens" to use at 50 mm if I find a macro subject.

If I have committed to a macro dive, should I keep the "macro wet lens" to use too?

Re the 12-50 -- I'm using the Oly housing with the flat port -- should I get a different one?

Also, unless I "know" it is a macro dive, my plan is to have it in manual zoom (I have the Austrian zoom ring) and have the Oly "macro wet lens" to use at 50 mm if I find a macro subject.

If I have committed to a macro dive, should I keep the "macro wet lens" to use too?

There has been a lot of previous discussion of that lens and you will probably find what you want to know in a quick search. Alternatively you might get a wider audience to your question posting in a thread about that lens, as the title (and intent) of this thread was a discussion of a different lens, the 12-40, using a port available for a Nauticam housing.

Edit: Reading my comment, it almost comes off as snippy. That wasn't my intent, so please don't take it that way.

jd-- no problem. I've been involved with several other threads but since "the pros" seemed to be discussing the 12-40 vs. the 12-50 I thought I'd jump in and ask here.

In case it is useful to anyone, the 170mm Zen port is still on backorder and I was told today that the 25mm zen extension ring is still under consideration/discussion and may or may not even be produced. I guess the 20mm Nauticam extension would work with the 7-14 and the 30mm extension withe 12-40, but I may go ahead and cancel my order for the dome and wait to see what others do.

I used the EM1 with the 12-40 lens, nauticam housing and 7" nauticam port in Revillagigedo. The lens is nice as a mid range wide angle. I did not try any macro, since it is big stuff there. It is a nice lens but it is not a "everything lens".
20140316-socorro.jpg
This is from the Boiler
20140316-socorro-2.jpg
It was nice to zoom in and out a little
20140316-socorro-3.jpg
You must be careful with the manual focus ring, if you push it forward (to manual focus) before you close your housing you are in manual focus and can't get out of it until you surface and push it back. I did not get photos on 2 dives because I did that.

I had fun shooting with it and will use it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom