Anyone have an O'Neil Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jendive

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a dry suit but do not know much about them yet. A woman in my dive club is selling a used O'Neil dry suit. Does anyone out there own or previously owned one and how would it rate?

Thank you much!
Jen

jendive:
I'm looking at buying a dry suit but do not know much about them yet. A woman in my dive club is selling a used O'Neil dry suit. Does anyone out there own or previously owned one and how would it rate?

Thank you much!
Jen

I used an ONeill drysuit for a few years with no problems. Matt_Unique currently uses an ONeill. Will the seller allow you to try the suit?

I have owned my O'Neill neoprene drysuit for 6 years and I love it. I will buy another when this one dies. I think they are the best bang for the buck.

What year is it? What is she asking for it? You can buy a brand new one for $500. When I bought mine 6 years ago it was $750. Add about $150 for brand new thermals.

I replaced my zipper after the 5th year. The zipper replacement was $160 as I recall.

They fit well (assuming you get the right size), very streamlined, warm, no problems for me with the seals or valves, etc.

Fire away with any questions. I dive mine year round. Last weekend we had 39 degrees in Gloucester. I added dry gloves last year.

--Matt

I have one and love it. I swirtched from a tri-lam and would not even consider going back.

The O'neil itself is well made, I like the seals and they hold up very well.

The zippers are pretty stiff until they break in. You need to lube them very well initially.

Thank you all for your replies... To answer a few questions... The seller is letting me try the suit so I guess I am looking for wear and tear and most importantly if the seals fit? They should be very very snug correct?

I'm not sure what year it is but she said she's only worn it 3 or 4 times. She is asking $400. If there really are ones for $500 then it may be worth just getting it new???

Jen

I just found out about how old the suit is... she said she only wore it 3 or 4 times and it may be about 7 or 8 years old.... is that bad?? :wink:
Jen

Age is not a neoprene's best briend, that's for sure. I don't know if valve technology has advanced onver those years, that's a significant period. I'd pay particular attention to the condition of the seal materials. Correctly stored it should still have lots of good dives let in it but I'd be sure to get a lot more that 20% off the cost of buying new. Buying new you get to choose options, colors, any advances and get a warranty.

Pete

I was just checking the O'Neil site and I don't see any diving dry suits per say... They have dry suits but they don't have the boots integrated or the inflate-deflate valves, etc. Maybe they just don't list them on the site.... ??? Does anyone know a good place to look for new ones?

O'Neill makes solid stuff across the board, BUT 7 or 8 years old huh? Hmmmm...with 4 dives, the suit probably looks unused, but it's a tough call on what a fair price is. $400 sounds too high though - maybe if it was 3 years old. $275 sounds ok though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom