anyone has DIY'd a fiber optic cable for their strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gesguerra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello buddies, has anyone done some DIY fiber optic cable to trigger a slave strobe?

i'm looking at getting an Intova ISS2000 slave flash/strobe, but could not find any compatible fiber optic cable for it, so i'm thinking of how to make one, and where to get the materials from. has anybody tried it?

or if not, has anyone got the same strobe unit? how's your setup? thanks!

601159.jpg

You are aware that this slave strobe will read the flash from your camera without using fiber optic cables, correct?

@cooltech, yeah i'm aware of that, but sometimes i don't like how the photo looks like when you have both the camera's flash and the strobe firing on the subject - makes the photo look flat, in my opinion...

by the way, my camera is a point and shoot, no manual mode...

any advice?

also, i'm new to the underwater strobing thing... i have a strobe setup for my non-underwater DSLR, but as i've gathered, it's a different story underwater... any input/advice is greatly appreciated... thanks in advance

I have made my own optical cables for use with the Canon underwater case and a Sea & Sea YS-110 strobe. I used a cheap optical cable from eBay that cost me about $2.00 and some velcro. You need to cut a rectangular velcro piece that is big enough to cover your internal camera flash. The piece of velcro that you are going to adhere to your underwater case, you need to cut an opening in the middle of the velcro so that the camera's flash will be "seen" by the optical cable. In other words, the piece of velcro on the camera case, make it look like a picture frame with an opening in the middle. Next, I cut off one end of the optical cable to expose the fiber optic cable. On the other piece of velcro, cut two slits in the velcro so that you can "thread" the optical cable through that piece of velcro. Now, when you put the two pieces of velcro together, the optical cable will be able to see your camera's internal flash. The camera's internal flash will not interfere with your photo because it is blocked by the velcro. Finally, to attach the optical cable to my strobe, on the other end of the optical cable, I shaved the plastic end of the optical cable so that it would fit snug into the optical cable port of my YS-110.

This is from an old thread posted by Divernoob

May 22nd, 2010, 01:34 AM

I also made my own cords by wrapping stereo fiber optic cables around a 1/2" dowel and zapping them with a heat gun to make them coiled.

Last edited by Divernoob; May 22nd, 2010 at 03:23 AM..

I do use that ISS 2000; you can buy also their FO kit which is sold seprately and has the fitting just right for that strobe. I've had no issues with it whatsoever.

I saw the Intova FO kit at Aquaventures White tip in Kamagong Makati branch; I think it sells for less than $30.

Thanks for the tips buddies! I'll see if I can manage the DIY...

I saw the Intova FO kit at Aquaventures White tip in Kamagong Makati branch; I think it sells for less than $30.

yup also saw that one from the store yesterday! do you have that same FO cable for your ISS 2000? i wasn't so sure about the fitting, so i didn't buy it yet. i'm getting the strobe from another store, and was worried if i purchased it and the fittings didnt go well i had wasted money. hehe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom