Anyone going to Mammoth or Twin lakes Tx 8/4/12??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mammoth has a bubbler system so no thermocline but visibility is either really bad or really good.. with no in between. Haven't seen the really good part yet..

What is a "bubbler system" ?

I guess some mixing pump?

Is it safe for divers? Fish?

The bubbler system is a couple of tubes that blow bubbles from the bottom of the lake. It is safe for both divers and fish.

Anyone have a contact number for 288?

---------- Post Merged at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:36 PM ----------

out of these 3: Mammoth, 288, Twin Lake... Where Would you Go???

At this point I'd go to the one that is closer. For a phone for 288 try 281-546-3838.

Been now at twin lakes. The bottom is very much like Mammoth Lake but with thermocline. Twin lakes advertises 50' depth but so far did not see it. One feature that is awesome and only twin lakes has over others is showers. You can hose yourself while gearing up to prevent a heat stroke (so cool!). You can also wash your mask, wet the BCD, and clean your gear afterwards. However, twin lakes has a major power line going through and nearby a loud freight train kill the look and feel of being outside. There is also a bunch of RVs around the lake, I wonder why would anyone choose to park so close to an active rail road... Portable restrooms.

Mammoth is great because of its size and all the toys on the bottom. You will need quite a few trips to see it all. Absence of a thermocline is a great thing. But for me it is quite a drive, otherwise it was fun. Having an eatery next door is a big plus. From all the places this one looks more like a proper business, not just a weekend dive place. However, the lake has a bit of a smell to it that stays on your gear.

288 is best if you like a "natural look". The weeds, fish, portable restrooms, fire-ants... :) But it is small and gets boring quickly, especially with low visibility. Plus, 288 charges for entrance and air a bit too much (in comparison to other places vs its own size). They do have nitrox 32 but they pre-mix it and store in a big tank, availability is spotty. Any gear that has fallen into 288 will probably will not be found.

I am diving my first summer, I have no idea what is up with visibility. Is it a seasonal thing or out of ordinary? As far as I can tell, if you dive near the shore line anywhere, the visibility is better. Closer to the middle of the lake and it becomes even worse.

I am thinking of going next Saturday to a blue lagoon in Huntsville just to try out all the local places. Need a buddy.

Me and my buddy ended up going to Twin lakes saturday morning, we dove 2 tanks there and i managed to lose my gopro.. the thermocline was around 27ft and it dropped into the 50s. The vis was 7-10 but it got sturred up pretty quick and went down to around a 5 in the bottom..

After that we went over to mammoth and i really enjoyed that.. almost 87 degrees with hardly any variation being 35ft down.. I will deff be going back there.. But first i have to do a gopro search and rescue mission at twin lakes.. spread the word.

I will pay $150 reward if they find my GP HD2 in my dive housing..

I want to try Blue lagoon Also!I might head up that way.. I will send you a pm if i do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom