Anyone going to Mammoth or Twin lakes Tx 8/4/12??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mopar591

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Me and a buddy are planning to go to mammoth or twin lake this weekend.. Anyone else going to be around then?

Thanks Texasguy.. I had called yesterday and it was 6-10ft I was pretty dissapointed. .. I was really leaning towards The Twins.. I am new to houston area diving.. Can anyone shed some light on these spots? And any more around Houston? I am from lake Charles area

I never been to twin lakes. The other place is lake 288. Visibility lately is not any better.

How is 228 vs mammoth.. Other than vis.. And what would you say the vis was last weekend?

I'd say the same. After the rain it pretty much the same, visibility wise.

Mammoth is 3 times larger, deeper, around 30-40 feet. Has a spot that goes up to 60. Has 20+ different objects. Most interesting is a huge military cargo plane C130. No thermocline for some reason. Stinks a tad. Next door is an eatery. Proper restrooms. Looks more fake due to it being less "natural". Mostly no swimmers, just divers.

Lake 288 is smaller, 25-30 depth. But more fish, way more fish, good size too. Really so-so sunken objects, nothing of value to mention. Lately infested by a large amount of weed. Outdoor plastic restrooms. Have to drive far out to eat something. If diving below 15' one needs at least a shorty, gets noticeably cold. 50/50 divers and swimmers.

Mammoth is too far from central Houston, I get tired driving back.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it! I would like to meet people around Swla and setx to meet up with from time to time and go dive!

Looks like alot of good sites in Texas.. Not many close to me.. Really thinking about just going to twin lakes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom