Anyone from near Houghton, MI? I need opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic_diver45

Contributor
Reaction score
OK....the great quest to decide where my fiancee' and I will wind up come May (when she graduates) has taken yet another turn as Jennifer can not seem to make up her mind for more than 2 days (Welcome to another exciting episode of "As The Estrogen Churns"....). I was looking online and came across the town of Houghton MI and it seemed nice (but then again the website was done by the local tourism board....so I am taking it with a grain of salt). The crime rate seems good (much better than here in Indiana; there's something about having a crime rate nearly 175% of the national average that just doesn't want to make me stay here, not to mention the appalling lack of good jobs and the poor schools), there's a good college there (one of my major criteria), the fishing is supposed to be excellent. Now I just would like to find someone who lives there (or within shouting distance) to ask their opinion of the town. I'd like to gather as much info as I can about the next round of places before I set down with Jen to review them....I've had more luck nailing jello to a wall than I have in getting an honest answer out of her about this whole moving situation. Oh well.....if anyone can help me please feel free to post on here or private message me.

I'd also like to find some hunting and fishing buddies in the area if I go to move up there. If any of y'all regularly fish or hunt the Upper Peninsula let me know (even if you're not from the Houghton vicinity).

If your talking the town of Houghton it is way way way up in the Upper peninsula of Michigan. It is mostley a hunters haven not much up their but snow and lots of it. the crime is low because it is to darn cold and not enough population up there for crime. there is no big city or any kind of social activities of any kind Except hunting and fishing and snowmobiling. If your non social people and like being alone with nothing to do but hunt and fish then you will like it. The economy is also bad up there because there is no main industry up there. Now if your Talking about Houghtan Lake which is actually in a town called prudenville. Pretty much the same it is a tourist area The population triples on weekend as the people downstate head to there cabins up there on the weekends it has no main industry so to speak and it's claim to fame is Tip up town in the winter time. It has a few bars That are fun during the weekends but during the week it is a sleepy little town again. You didnt specify why you were moving or what your line of work was to what you wanted to move to. I'm sure other people will post on these area that no more then I do.

gtxl1200:
There is no big city or any kind of social activities of any kind Except hunting and fishing and snowmobiling. If your non social people and like being alone with nothing to do but hunt and fish then you will like it. The economy is also bad up there because there is no main industry up there. Now if your Talking about Houghtan Lake which is actually in a town called prudenville. Pretty much the same it is a tourist area The population triples on weekend as the people downstate head to there cabins up there on the weekends it has no main industry so to speak and it's claim to fame is Tip up town in the winter time. It has a few bars That are fun during the weekends but during the week it is a sleepy little town again. You didnt specify why you were moving or what your line of work was to what you wanted to move to. I'm sure other people will post on these area that no more then I do.

My line of work is respiratory therapy and EMS. I looked into the area and found several hospitals (three I can remember off the top of my head) which would be where I would most likely work. I don't need industry (actually I would prefer to stay the hell away from it). As for there being nothing to do, gee it sounds like where we live now (Terre Haute Indiana) only with prettier surroundings. The economy here sucks (our unemployment rate is now around 8.2% and even during good times it doesn't drop below 7% because nobody wants to put a factory here because the state makes it purposely difficult to start and/or run any sort of non-agricultural business and the population here lacks any real work ethic and with a few notable exceptions (including the couple of local people I have gotten to know through here) are exactly the kind of people you DON'T want to rely upon for quality work of any great quantity.

I don't mind cold weather. I love fishing and hunting (means less food to buy at the grocery store :wink: ) and I don't need a major city to make myself happy (We're an hour from Indianapolis now and that's the closest place with any "nightlife"- which is something I can do quite nicely without). Actually I swear up and down that I will never live in a city with over 25,000 people ever again. From what Jennifer has told me she wants the same thing (namely a nice quiet town where we can raise our family). The reason I am looking at Houghton primarily is for the college that is there (that's why I haven't looked at Houghton Lake) since the desire to get back into school so I can get on with my education and on to dental school in an expeditious manner is more or less all consuming at this point.

Thank you for your input. It is very much appreciated.

It's not so much the cold that gets to you, but the amount of snow. I don't recall the exact amount Houghton gets, but "up the hill" (north of Houghton) the average snowfall is around 250" for the year, and I think 390" is the all time high. It can start snowing as early as October and may still snow as late as April.

As previously mentioned, the hunting and fishing is good. Good dive sites are only a short drive away. Excellent place to own a boat, the Houghton canal gives good access to Lake Superior. Lots of hiking / biking trails in the area.

If a smaller community suites you, Houghton may just work out.

PM me if there is anything specific you want to know about the area.

I don't know why, but Jennifer (my fiancee) seems a little less than thrilled about the idea of Houghton (may I shouldn't have told her that last year the place got 225" of snow- about 18 ft 9 inches for those of you who are keeping count)....I think perhaps I should look into other options.....DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER PLACES TO SUGGEST? The requirements as the stand now are:
1. A 4 year public university
2. A population <45,000
3. A low crime rate (this is the one that weeds out a lot of the places I have looked at).
4. Somewhere in the Midwest (but not Indiana or Ohio)- this is Jen's request (she wants to stay close to her family here), but I think it can be waived if all else fails.
5. Cost of living below the national average (I don't care if the crime rate is low and the scenery is beautiful, if it costs over $575 a month to have an apartment it's not an option).

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Houghton still remains an option (I still like it at least), but I would like to hear others suggestions.

medic_diver45:
I don't know why, but Jennifer (my fiancee) seems a little less than thrilled about the idea of Houghton (may I shouldn't have told her that last year the place got 225" of snow- about 18 ft 9 inches for those of you who are keeping count)....I think perhaps I should look into other options.....DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER PLACES TO SUGGEST? The requirements as the stand now are:
2. A population <45,000
3. A low crime rate (this is the one that weeds out a lot of the places I have looked at).
4. Somewhere in the Midwest (but not Indiana or Ohio)- this is Jen's request (she wants to stay close to her family here), but I think it can be waived if all else fails.
5. Cost of living below the national average (I don't care if the crime rate is low and the scenery is beautiful, if it costs over $575 a month to have an apartment it's not an option).

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Houghton still remains an option (I still like it at least), but I would like to hear others suggestions.

I was going to suggest Vermont...Chittenden County, it meets 1,2 and 3 easily
#4 is iffy...you are 8 to 9 hours from central Ohio...my 80+ year old father makes the trip up and back several times a year :)
but #5 is a deal breaker...Rent is documented as high...

Paul in VT

medic_diver45:
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER PLACES TO SUGGEST? The requirements as the stand now are:
2. A population <45,000
3. A low crime rate
4. Somewhere in the Midwest
5. Cost of living below the national average
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I think you could find Marquette Mich meeting your needs.
1. Northern Michigan University
2. About 30,000
3. Very low crime
4. Midwest
5. Below average
6. Much less snow than Houghton.
7. Dive sites nearby

(I'm a former yooper, myself, my folks live about 30 miles from Marquette)

Ken

Both my kids are at Michigan Tech, one a chem e major the other computer eng and ee. They both love the great white north and Houghton in particular, on my visits up i've been impressed by the friendliness of the people and the small town feel.... cost of living is extremely low for a college town (i work in Ann Arbor.....Iniversity of Michigan Hospital....nuff said) Portage Health Systems across the portage in Hancock is an excellent medical facility.....(i know as my daughter was transported there in a snow storm by EMS after a broomball accident). yes there is a lot of snow....there's a ski resort in Hancock right across the canal from MTU. but they know how to handle it there. I'm not sure Marquette does get less.....at least they haven't been this year.

as far as colleges go...MTU is incredible. student teacher ratio is very low and placement is in the high 90%. It's a tough school with a good reputation.

summers are incredible, it's light till 10:30 or so and the big lake is 10-20 minutes a way. hunting and fishing are really really big and winter snow mobiling is also big. Copper Harbor the jumping off site for Isle Royale is less than an hour away. A lot of shore diving there, looking for agates and copper.....a few wrecks.

Best of luck on your decision making.

GLDiver:
(i work in Ann Arbor.....Iniversity of Michigan Hospital....nuff said) I'm not sure Marquette does get less.....at least they haven't been this year.

Up there at Ann Arbor, you ever come across a John Charpie at the U of M Hospital? Cousin of mine!

As for Marquette, they "only" get, on average, about 140 inches per year (course, compared to down here in Dayton . . . ., that's a lot!). I'll have to call my folks to see what they're running this year. So far!

Ken

medic_diver45:
2. A population <45,000

Dude, check out Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. I grew up there, my Dad was born and raised there. Lake Superior State College is there,...its a small town but has some amenities, there is a bridge there leading over to Sault, Canada. The Lake Superior coastline of Upper Penninsula of Michigan has to be seen to be believed, its one of the most spectacular sights in the continental US. In the summer. OTOH, these guys are correct about the snow. Anywhere from 3 to 8 feet of snow in the winter, depending on how close to the lake you are located and how high the plows threw it. Houghton - you'd better get a few snow machines, a big screen, a supply of videos, and lots of canned goods, 'cause for about 4 months out of every year unless you live right in town you're going exactly nowhere - unless its on a snow machine. My Dad graduated from Tech there, and the winters can be real impressive. Most guys who move there don't last many winters. But the Sault stays pretty open all winter, its real cold but its a tad more cosmopolitan. (Before you make any radical plans, I suggest that a visit might be in order.....) Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom