Anyone free this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's sad for that crowd at Maverics. Glad no one lost their life. Rogue waves can happen at anypoint I believe. Good to always pay attention. I'm guessing Maverics is more exposed than BW?

But thanks for the reminder to everyone. We watched for a long time before entry & carefully timed exit. It was quite smooth, but it pays to have a very solid partner.

Today there were even some OW classes there.

Unfortunately in those conditions it is dang near everyone for themselves. Coming out of the water in surf conditions with doubles and a scooter it is all I can do to stay up myself. That is why I pass on those days and go for a hike instead.

There is also a big difference between diving singles and doubles. Get turtled on your back in dubs and you are at the mercy of the ocean. One of my dive buddies had that happen at Monastery, and he is a pretty big guy. Needless to say he learned the term monster berries. Nothing like having to rebuild all your gear after a bad exit. Been there done that!

Wasn't that bad. Have had much worse on the Lobos boat ramp. But I hope you had a great hike ;-). Vis wasn't worth a darn anyway :wink:.

In Sept of 2007 a typhoon had just passed us by 3 days earlier and people were out an about enjoying the break of rain an wind that had been around for the past several days. One of the popular points to take photos is a lighthouse called Zanpa Pt and many people were there 40ft above the surface of the ocean taking photos of the turbulent seas. With no warning a wave crashed over the side of the cliff and continued up another 20ft or so. On the drawback of the water many people were drawn back toward the cliff edge to only get lodged in the razor sharp limestone of the cliff. One 10yr old boy was swept over and never recovered despite all the efforts of the responding agencies. A friend of mine was swept back face down across the rocks while holding his little girl. She ended up protected but he broke his neck and eviscerated his left eye. The eye was eventually saved due to some spectacular medical care. The power of waves is truly amazing.

Went out today with my brother and it was not really worth all the hassle. From 35 ft up it was like 3-4 feet of vis but out by the metridums it opened to a whole 7-8 ft. The sea was angry today.

I am glad I was home teaching confined water skills!!

I am glad I was home teaching confined water skills!!

Yeah, I was pretty suprised they had a few OW classes out this weekend. It seems unfair that I learned in 80ft vis calm 85F water. Not sure I'd ever keep diving if today was my OW class & first dive.

You all are tougher than I.

Mike,

Like 3-4 ft vis is a good description - worse over middle reef. I hesitate to call that vis, because at 3' things lost defination ;-).
Fun day though!

I am carefully monitoring this and hoping this coming weekend will be better. I would love to dive BW Sat evening and then Sunday boat dive. :)

In Sept of 2007 a typhoon had just passed us by 3 days earlier and people were out an about enjoying the break of rain an wind that had been around for the past several days. One of the popular points to take photos is a lighthouse called Zanpa Pt and many people were there 40ft above the surface of the ocean taking photos of the turbulent seas. With no warning a wave crashed over the side of the cliff and continued up another 20ft or so. On the drawback of the water many people were drawn back toward the cliff edge to only get lodged in the razor sharp limestone of the cliff. One 10yr old boy was swept over and never recovered despite all the efforts of the responding agencies. A friend of mine was swept back face down across the rocks while holding his little girl. She ended up protected but he broke his neck and eviscerated his left eye. The eye was eventually saved due to some spectacular medical care. The power of waves is truly amazing.

Tragic! Glad your friend was ok.

I use to hike long stretches of beach quite a bit when I lived on Ca north coast near the Oregon border. Once on a perfectly clear day a random rouge crashed up on the beach. I was far from the surf zone but had to make a mad dash towards the cliff, sinking my fingers into the clay/mud wall and literally climb up a bit to escape the powerful wave. My poor dog was tossed around in the angry froth but managed to swim clear. To this day (5 years later) she still won't go near the surf zone - smart pup :).

Point is that rogue waves can happen anyday, not just during weather. It's always good to pay attention!

Back
Top Bottom