Anyone for Underwater Hockey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tk_191

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello.
My name is Brendon Ewers. I'm new to the scuba board, but not new to diving. I've been diving for approximately 8yrs since being certified by my dad and NAUI in 2001. I'm writing here to the message boards to see if there would be anyone locally int the Killeen, TX area that would be interested in getting an "UNDERWATER HOCKEY" club started. Yes, that's right I said "UNDERWATER HOCKEY". I've played for approximatly a year in California at Mission Beach with lots of success. It is an awesome way to add another dimension to your fitness. If anyone is interested please post within this thread and maybe we could get something working. Everyone is welcome to play, both men and women and ages, preferably over 12yrs. However, we could certainly get something working as well for the littler ones as well.
Hope to hear from all interested divers.
Brendon Ewers.

Some additional info on the sport. The sport is taught and played as a "non-contact" sport. Contact does happen, but it is more accidental than intentional. The game is played in a pool in approximately 6-8ft of water with mask, snorkel and fins. Everyone has their own hockey stick (12 inches long), padded glove on dominant hand to protect fingers and knuckles from pool bottom and other players stick. Everyone has ear guards on, much like water polo players use to protect from close play and any occasional bumping that may occur. The puck is made of lead and weighs 3# coated in plastic. Each team has 6 players. Key point to note is that there is no intentional body contact allowed, players may not hold onto, impede, hit, block, affect other players equipment. Play must occur as clean/fair as possible. Certainly feel free to play competitively, but fairly. If anyone is looking to add another method to their fitness regimen, it's a great way to keep up your snorkeling skills, work on your aerobic and anaerobic fitness.
I'm happy to say that after training and racing triathlons for 18+ years, I loved the sport the first time I played it in Mission Beach California. Unfortunately I've met with difficulty in getting anything started since leaving California in 2007. I've researched the topic extensively and have all the required information on what it takes to get the game/group started. I've downloaded and have a complete hardcopy of the World Underwater Hockey Manual that outlines the rules by which the sport is played at the world level, dimensions of the playing area, training for the sport if anyone desires such information, so by no means am I approaching this with minimal information. At a bare minimum we need 6 people total, which would give us 3 people per team. Obviously more is always better, but we have to start somewhere. I have the ear guards, pucks and can provide info on how to construct the gloves and acquire hockey sticks.
I'd also like to emphasize that "EVERYONE IS WELCOME". This sport is not just for guys, or gals. I've even seen young kids playing it. The sport is played and competed at the World Cup level. Much information is available on the sport. Feel free to look up videos on: youtube When searching on youtube, just type in "underwater hockey" and you'll pull up all kinds of video clips of the sport being played. Another good website is: the "underwater hockey tourist", which also provides locations where there are clubs currently active in nearly every state and internationally if your not in the U.S.
I hope to find interested individuals. It really is an awesome sport.
Brendon.
"tk191"

P.S. if anyone would like to contact me by email, I can be reached at: tk_191@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom