Anyone for Fort Ross Cove on Saturday May 19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I totally would've gone to blow some bubbles at Ross, I've driven up there both days this weekend to Mendo/Sonoma counties for abs. For what it's worth, the vis lately has been decent 15' and conditions quite diveable before 11 (ie 9-11). Around then the wind really starts picking up with some nasty surface chop and swells on the incoming tide a little bothersome. Keep in mind this is from a freediving perspective. Should probably be able to stay in a little longer submerged, but depending on entry/exit points it might make a difference?

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I totally would've gone to blow some bubbles at Ross, I've driven up there both days this weekend to Mendo/Sonoma counties for abs. For what it's worth, the vis lately has been decent 15' and conditions quite diveable before 11 (ie 9-11). Around then the wind really starts picking up with some nasty surface chop and swells on the incoming tide a little bothersome. Keep in mind this is from a freediving perspective. Should probably be able to stay in a little longer submerged, but depending on entry/exit points it might make a difference?

Thanks. I though it would be a morning dive as the wind was picking up at, around 11 am. The color of the IMG_1863.jpg water at Ross (Sandy Cove)was simply spectacular, I was hoping it would be great vis. I have a lot to learn on reading the swells as a scuba dude, but I remember from my surfing days that it can create currents in coves and jetty's, which would create a problem for someone laden down with equipment. I'll be wanting to dive a little farther north June 15th or 16th , I'll post 2 weeks ahead of time...

124795d1337655692-anyone-fort-ross-cove-saturday-may-19-img_1863.jpg

The vis does look exceptional. I am sure deeper it was plenty clear too. Although we have seen great vis at the beach, and only 8 ft at 90ft there far offshore. Plus the wave action seems calm. The beach can be a slippery slope though as you sink in the gravel. The current is determined by many things on the North Coast. Typically current comes with bigger swells and wind. Fort Ross tends to have current that runs South, but it can change direction. The eddy's in the coves can be ridden out to the drop point, but it is good to pay attention to which side of the cove they are running on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom