Anyone familiar with SCOTT air packs??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given that some LDSs are a little dimmer than others you may want to bring in one of your "backdraft" tanks and a propane tank at the same time. If they pass both and return them filled, find another LDS...

Originally posted by JT2
I just got through calling my friend who has the tanks and he said they were about 24" tall and about 6.75" in diameter, and they are aluminum with a pressure rating of 2216psi, or what Scott refers to as a 30 minute tank. Assuming these tanks will accept a scuba type valve, why would they not make good stage tanks or something of that nature??? Also, can someone tell me how to figure out how many cubic feet of air these tanks hold, or do I not have enough measurements for that??

Exactly Correct. I just got out my old Mine Rescue handbook from 1992. I trained on Scott's back then. The working pressure of the cylinder is 2216 psi. The Air Pak II was available with either steel or Al alloy cylinders of 45 cu ft capacity, although in Canadian usage the latter was more common. So you must check to determine which they were.

My book has pictures and descriptions but no info on the thread size. The url for the safety warning several paragraghs below indicates that the Al cylinders were made by Luxfer. Luxfer's website site indicates that the current L45 Al cylinder for life support equipment is available in 3 different threads sizes 0.750-16, 0.750-14 and 1.125-12. http://www.luxfercylinders.com/americas/product_info/life_support/metal/specifications.htfx.htm

I believe that .750-14 is the standard LP scuba tank thread size (7/8"-14 VNF for HP tanks) so your cylinders might work depending which thread they are.

Please note though that some of these Scott cylinders are made of 6351 T6 alloy and have the safety warning we all know about issued for them. http://www.scotthealthsafety.com/hsliterature/download/6177.pdf
Given this and the small size of a standard Scott tank (45) you might not want them.

Thanks for the info everybody. I went ahead and accepted the tanks anyway, and there is a dive shop about 55 miles away that I talked to who told me that if they were in fairly good shape I could bring them by and if I would give him three of them he would do the inspections on one of them and O2 clean it for me and install a yoke valve so that I could use it for O2 later on. What do ya'll think???

Originally posted by JT2
What do ya'll think???
I think everyone already sounded a word of caution that seems to have gone unheeded.

And I also think that the dimensions and buoyancy characteristics of a Luxfer AL40 scuba tank are just about perfect for an O2 deco bottle.

Personally I prefer optimal to bargain.

Don't go into tech diving if you have to go into it cheap JT2... it is just too dangerous and in reality hugely more expensive than rec. diving.

You may not want to hear that either but it needs to be said.

..they had a sign up with air/nitrox fill prices and I noticed they had Scott packs on there (a dollar more than an air fill for an 80). Not sure if they just fill them for local emergency workers or for other uses, but I will ask them when I pick up my tank.

Originally posted by O-ring
..they had a sign up with air/nitrox fill prices and I noticed they had Scott packs on there (a dollar more than an air fill for an 80). Not sure if they just fill them for local emergency workers or for other uses, but I will ask them when I pick up my tank.
Shoot Eric... If I were a betting man I would lay odds that they are charging the extra buck *because we have to use an adapter* which means of course that the Scott packs still have the SCBA valve... which of course means that they are for FD/rescue work above water.

Hey Pug, first of all, I had decided against using the tank underwater, I was simply thinking of using it as a emergency O2 tank on the boat, I guess I should have stated that so I did not get you all worked up and thinking that I was not listening to you guys. Secondly, I am not, and never was asking all these questions because I was trying to get out cheap, I simply thought that if I could get one good serviable tank out of the deal, why waste it? I fully understand how expensive tech diving is, and I personally do not do things half a**. Not that it really matters to any of you, but I can afford to buy just about any scuba gear I want, I just thought there was no need to not utilize a resource if it was feasible. Thirdly and most importantly, I have decided to make another gear table for my shop using the tanks for legs and an old piece of Lexan that was the back glass in the race car for the top, so it doesn't really matter anyway.
As always thanks for all the good info! :mean:

...concerned for your welfare maybe... but not worked up. Start talking deep air if you want to see worked up :wink:

BTW: Having an emergency O2 bottle onboard is a good idea... why the yoke valve on it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom