Anyone ever use these Scuba Choice/Palantic fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReadyTo Dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scuba Choice Palantic Open Heel Rubber Dive Fins with Bag, Orange

Any reviews/thoughts? I can’t seem to find anything online...

I’m looking to replace a pair of Tusa Solla’s that have honestly served me fairly well (they’re ok at most every kick but master of none) and I ran across these. I’d ideally like a fin that allows an excellent frog kick for wrecks/similar situations and strong dependable propulsion for medium-heavy currents. I’ve looked at all of the regulars (DRXT, Nova, Viper, Deep 6 Eddy, Quattro, etc) but can’t find anything that is a “clear and obvious winner”. For less than $100 I thought they may be worth the gamble.

I wear a size 9.5 shoe, 5mm boots and have a semi-wide foot. Comfort is pretty important and I think I’d prefer a neutral fin (no Jets/Turtles for example) as I normally dive warm Caribbean or max 5mm in the Flower Gardens and TX lakes. Any thoughts, insights and/or reviews are all greatly appreciated!

They look cool, are not expensive, why not give them a try and report back? If they are really rubber and not thin they may be negative.

I would just go with the deep 6. They aren't much more and have a good reputation. Dr xt fins are a tad long for wreck penetration. Only other consideration would be if you need a negative fin for a drysuit where a jetfin can be a better option.

They look cool, are not expensive, why not give them a try and report back? If they are really rubber and not thin they may be negative.

TY! Being too negative is really my biggest concern. Even though I still may just give them a shot!

I would just go with the deep 6. They aren't much more and have a good reputation. Dr xt fins are a tad long for wreck penetration. Only other consideration would be if you need a negative fin for a drysuit where a jetfin can be a better option.

I will not be doing any drysuit diving so that will not be a concern. Are the Deep 6 fins a little too large for easy suitcase packing? I do quite a bit of flying with my gear and have read that that may be a concern. Thanks!

The Deep 6 fins are about 25" long in size large and fit into the Patagonia 60L Black Hole bag for carry-on. They're great fins, perfect for the non-silting, precise positioning kicks.

After years of wearing Jets, I found them too heavy for warm water, mainly beach dives. Upon recommendation of my lds, I purchased Tusa Solla's and found them "just okay" as you said. Capable but nothing exciting and certainly not, my preferred choice of fins. After reading the reviews of the Eddy fin, I then tried them and knew immediately that they were "right" for me- very comfortable, powerful and able to do various kick styles well, without the weight of the Jets. Almost a no brainer, without breaking the bank. Hope this helps.

Steve

After years of wearing Jets, I found them too heavy for warm water, mainly beach dives. Upon recommendation of my lds, I purchased Tusa Solla's and found them "just okay" as you said. Capable but nothing exciting and certainly not, my preferred choice of fins. After reading the reviews of the Eddy fin, I then tried them and knew immediately that they were "right" for me- very comfortable, powerful and able to do various kick styles well, without the weight of the Jets. Almost a no brainer, without breaking the bank. Hope this helps.

Steve

It does. Thank you Steve and thank you to everyone else who also contributed; your opinions and advice was greatly appreciated. A pair of Deep Six Eddy’s have been ordered.

Back
Top Bottom