Anyone ever use rocks to weight themselves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For emergency use go to Walmart or any like store and pick up the weights that folks strap on the exercise with. These are usually steel and will rust quickly but they will get you through the weekend.

David -

Probably too late - but I'm close to Joe's if you want to borrow some weights. All I have are belt weights. I dive with about 22 on and have several 3 pounders as spares. I'm in the phone book under Kenny Ratliff.

K2

Another idea just occured to me. Some hardware stores still carry plumbing lead in 5lb blocks. These would do nicely as weights and can be cut with a hacksaw blade to smaller weights.

Renting tanks for a shore dive a few years ago, I forgot to specify that I wanted steel 80's, which I was what I was usually given, and I was given aluminum. Too new to know the difference, off I went...

We were a bit floaty at the start. It was a shallow dive, about 45', and after half an hour, we were struggling to stay down.

A few softball sized rocks did the trick, though. We substituted bona fide dive weights for the next dive.

And thus I learned the distinct difference between the bouyancy characteristics of steel and aluminum tanks.

I was happy to use the rocks at the time...:D

Steve

Tools in your trunk? I have put those in my wetsuit before. Crescent wrench...parts to a jack. you know, the little tool kits that come with new cars?..in a pinch, of course.

Whoa! My save a dive kit is getting way too big here! :D

On my OW check out dives my instructor did put a few rocks in my pockets mostly due to a poor fitting farmer john, we were already down on the training platform. I'm sure it is too late David, I hope you had a good time today, vis any better? I'm sure the instructors you were with had some extra lead, and Joe has some over at the check-in.

Let us know how it went today!

Borrowed some weights from a couple who I ended up diving with. Vis was way better today than last weekend, the temp was better too plus I had new 5mm gloves to wear instead of the reef gloves I was using before.. Much more enjoyable than my last trip. I ran out of people to dive with before I ran out of air though. I brought two 80's and only used one of them down to 1200. Logged two more dives though and added another 50 minutes. Looking forward to diving it again when it gets warmer and the water will be a little more clear.

I bought 4 boxes of BB's that weighed about 5 lbs a piece to fill my weight pouches with but I was glad I didn't have to use them.

It looked like a good day today, the storms held off and the overcast helped.
I'm glad to hear that the vis is starting to clear, it was pretty bad last weekend!

Dam I need to get wet. I'm beginning to see some parrelles between diving and sex. OK stay with me here. What is the term for really wanting to dive really bad. Your a horn dog if you want sex real bad are you then a Scuba horn dog if you want to dive real bad?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom