Anyone ever have a close call going solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had more close calls with buddies than solo. Have learned to stay away from the "Hey, this guy does'nt have a buddy, would you mind diving with him"

Can't say that I have. First couple hundred dives were shore based. I was broke and couldn't get enough diving. Worked all day and then drove out somewhere (South Florida) where I had direct water access. Would suit up next to my car, shlep everything down to the water and surface swim out to the reef (they were healthier then and easier to spot from the surface).

About the worst thing that ever happened was that I once got caught in some steady currents that I misjudged. When I surfaced after about an hour of diving I noticed that I was over a mile south of where I had parked along the beach. Pulled the CO2 cartridge on my horse collar, rolled over on my back and kicked my way to shore.

That was one HELL of a long walk back up the beach to my car with all that gear !!

This is kind of interesting following some of these threads about risk, close calls, etc.

Just read somewhere about playing the lottery in that you're something like 7x more likely to have a fatal car accident on your way to getting the "mega millions" lottery ticket, that you are at winning it.

http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_Stories/Powerball.html

I did have an OOA because my tank was turned almost to off as I strode off the boat. The pressure closed the door on my 1st stage at about 65-70 ft, and I was very surprised. One reason I was solo that day, was I wanted someone to stay topside on the boat. So, I surfaced and it was no big deal other than it rattled my cage. I don't solo much deeper than that.

What I learned was I needed to get my SS inflator fixed because you don't always have enough air in your lungs to blow it up, easily, on the surface, when you need it, you need it. Also, I learned to be aware of how people are "helping" you.

matjo1:
Had more close calls with buddies than solo. Have learned to stay away from the "Hey, this guy does'nt have a buddy, would you mind diving with him"

matjo1: I agree 100% and not just with "instant buddies". I've had buddies that had multiple dives together, doing their "drills" etc. When something real happened they went south. I much prefer to solo dive.

I do dive with my sons, I am just a remora, up and right while they navigate etc.

It is so much more fun, for me, to just be in the quiet ocean with only the sea critters as companions.

allenwrench:
Anyone ever have a close call going solo?

If so, what did you learn from it?
I was diving at a fairly popular, shallow shore dive site in Maui, but knew that I was completely alone -- I can hear other scuba divers coming well before I can see them. I was really intent on watching an eel that was hunting in cooperation with an Peacock Grouper and was edging up slowly on the normally skittish grouper that was patiently waiting for the eel at an exit from the coral head. I really don't like getting up close to eels, and so was keeping an eye out to make sure he wouldn't come flying out of the hole to swim over to the next coral head.

Suddenly something grabbed my leg, squeezed it and shook it! I just about died of the shock until I whipped around and saw the freediver pointing out the manta swimming a few feet above our heads.

Moral of the story -- solo diving can be a very meditative, zen-like state, but it's a real shock to the system to come back out of that reverie suddenly. :)

texdiveguy:
Why do you pose the question?

Am solo diver myself, although not long time solo'er. So am interested in learning from others.

Only thing I can contribute was one time at Catalina I got caught up near the surface with some kelp. But broke free with just a little effort and did not have to cut.

Not a close call, but something that impeded my actions and made me think about this issue.

Rick Murchison:
Uh, why would you tell on yourself?
Not having to is one of the principle reasons for going solo, ain't it??? :D
Rick

Well, we are all here to help each other out aren't we?

I think it was a fellow named Pseudo-Isocrates that said, "For as it is the nature of the body to be developed with appropriate exercise, it is the nature of the soul to be developed by moral precepts."

Whether we use maxims, slogans, or stories these are all good supports for us to keep us going in the right direction.

F106A:
No, but quite a few "moments" when buddied up.

Yes, bad buddies can be a problem. Send in those stories too.

We can also learn by applying the 'rule of opposites' and do NOT as the bad buddies do.

I'm a solo'er cause of lack of buddies, more so than having to dive with bad buddies.

Wife is my usual buddy and is a good one, but our schedules do not match.

So am solo'er by design and not always by desire.

matjo1:

What do you tell the DM? Any problems refusing to match up?

Back
Top Bottom