Anyone ever have a close call going solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, and have more than a few solo dips.

Why do you pose the question?

Uh, why would you tell on yourself?
Not having to is one of the principle reasons for going solo, ain't it??? :D
Rick

no close calls but... the first solo cave dive after my daughter was born (she was about 4 weeks old) I had a lengthy "discussion" with myself about 1,200 ft in Little River.

The outcome was fine; I realized there was some degree of risk to diving and for the first time someone really depends on me (and my wife who also solo cave dives). We are safer diving solo than we are traveling down I-95 at 80 mph getting to the dive sites. Not going to stop driving nor are we going to stop diving!

So far the planning and gear I have used for my solo excursions have helped me to avoid any close calls. More than a few with "buddies" though.

No close calls.

The only rather out of the ordinary experience I ever had on a solo dive was slightly over-exerting myself on a swim along a line. I noticed it begin to seem as if my reg wasn't giving me enough air, shrugged off and stomped out the instinctive urge to bolt, and concentrated on breathing deeply while holding a stop about 15' above where I'd been. After a couple minutes, I was good as new.

If I'd been a newbie, perhaps I would've bolted and considered that a "close call", but I was experienced enough to understand precisely what was going on. Armed with the knowledge of what it was, why it was there, and how to get rid of it, it was something to note (I'd caught myself speed-diving), but it wasn't a close call.

Back
Top Bottom