Anyone Ever Dive Higgins Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawdady

Contributor
Reaction score
For those who are unfamiliar, Higgins is in Northern Lower Michigan and is clear, deep and cold. I grew up not far from there but was not diving at the time. I did one quick shore dive while visiting one time shortly after I got certified. So has anyone ever done a serious boat dive there? Was there anything to see if you did? I know it is deep (around 200 fsw) and I have always heard stories of hidden caves. So if you did dive it, how deep did you go and what did you see?

I haven't ever jumped in that cold water.. BUT, I do work 10 miles from there and plan on doing it this summer!

I have dove at the Higgins Lake North End Vets Beach numerous times.

Higgins Lake can be compared to diving in either Lakes Michigan or Huron. Visibility varies in essentially the same manner. That means it is generally better than most other inland lakes here in MI. Temperatures are very similar as well.

Usually, there is plenty of fish life around the various small wrecks and structures. Years ago there were a number of wood-frame training platforms, but they are basically piles of boards now.
Although, there are not a lot of wrecks to see, it can be a very pleasant place for a shore dive.

The drop-off is a good 100 yards or so from shore and most of that distance is ankle-knee deep water. That makes for a plenty hot walk on a 90 degree August day in a dry suit. We usually inflate our BC's and float everything out to deeper water.

Oh yeah, there are no "facilities" on site at the North End Vets beach, so plan accordingly.
You can get a nice lunch at the "Silver Dollar" bar/restaurant up in town above the beach.
(At least I think that is the name of the place.)

You can get a nice lunch at the "Silver Dollar" bar/restaurant up in town above the beach.
(At least I think that is the name of the place.)

You are correct about the bar Dave. They also converted the coffee shop into a little pizza place with sandwiches and breakfast.

There are several locations along the shore line where pallets were dumped to create a place for the fish. Speaking of fish I have seen some pretty big ones pulled from that lake.

It's your turn to carry the gear next time Ted! :D

I have dove @ the beach in front of the Amvets Lodge several times. I always see plenty of fish around the small wrecks and visibility is usually very good. The only time that i had poor vis was the morning after an all-night downpour. I avoid the "Death March" by taking my boat to the site & anchoring it in approx 10'. The maximum depth of any of the wrecks in this site if approx 55'
The deepest that I have seen on my depthsounder & on any maps is 130'. I have not heard anything about any caves. Also, the closest place to get air fills is in Cadillac which is approx 1 hour away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom