Anyone ever dive at the local golf course? :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done it. Get permission and do it on a weekday when the course is slow. Trust me, balls will be hit into the lake while you are in it. The water is disgusting. You would not believe the amount of chemicals that end up in a golf course water hazard. Not to mention duck and goose droppings. Be careful. There is all kinds of junk in there. I found old metal, golf clubs, shopping carts a skateboard and some other junk. Be careful, don't just stab your hand into the mud.

I used to be able to fill a large trash can in about an hour. Cleaning golf balls soooooo boring.

I used to do it as a kid in all the Orlando area golf courses that were within pedaling distance of my house, but this was back in the early '70s. Now specialty salvage companies (usually individuals, but incorporated as companies for liability requirements) compete for contracts to recover the balls and guard their territory with all the aplomb of a mother bear protecting her cubs.

Even back then it wasn't a "new" thing. And quite often, fistfights would break out over territoriality if you weren't a "local" to that course.

No water holes on our golf course that I can remember. I haven't played it since the owner told me it cost more to replace my divots than he got in greens fees. We live on a near desert island so we don't have the water to waste on a silly golf course (the course is watered with reclaimed water).

Never did any diving at it, but sunk PLENTY of balls in the water!

Scottri:
You would not believe the amount of chemicals that end up in a golf course water hazard. Not to mention duck and goose droppings.

How about golfer droppings? :11:

It is easier to get permission if you give half your golf balls to course. That is the going rate here in the Tulsa area. Oh and you have to clean their half also. On the course in my area you can collect about 3000 golf balls in about 3 hours. You might want to use old wetsuits and equipment because the mud gets in everything. It takes you longer to clean your equipment than it did to collect the balls and many hours to clean golf balls. I use cheap bleach solution to clean them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom