Anyone else ever had these symptoms....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubarat

Reaction score
Hi, I just completed the pool work part for my OW certif. Several hours after the last pool day, I noticed that when I took a really deep breath, I'd feel some discomfort in my chest/lungs. The pool was 9ft at its deepest and I really don't recall ever holding my breath while ascending. I've had opinions that this may be due to breathing in a lot of the dry air. Anyone else that's new ever have this symptom??

First off, welcome to the board and to scubadiving.:)

I would suggest you move this question over to the Dr Deco section for a quicker response or even the Dive Medicine area. There are several doctor types that monitor those boards.

Must be getting late Scubarat. I thought we were in the New2Scuba section. My bad!

You are in the right place and competent assistance will no doubt arrive shortly. :)

Hello,

Sometimes students tend to be very tense during their first pool diving sessions, they might contract abdominal pectoral intercostals muscles (and respiratory muscles) leading to lactic acid accumulation and that might hurt while breathing.

What about the tuning of the regulator? Did it breathe smoothly or a lot of inpiratory efforts?

About pneumothorax it has been reported to have happened in a pool, but never my colleagues diving physicians reported such event.
But they also told me that 1-meter of water was enough to generate a pneumothorax if a deep inspiration was performed before going up...

Symptoms and signs of pneumothorax are: Shortness of breath, cyanosis ( blue coloration of skin, nails, lips…),rapid and superficial breathing, pain in the chest ( should be present in inpiratory and expiratory phase, not only while deep inspiration.
There might also be a sub-coetaneous emphysema (crackling feeling under skin of the neck and/or chest)

Maybe you inhaleted some water?

If this sensation persists seek some medical help.
But it doesn’t alarm me, as a few of my diving students reported me such symptoms without any severe issue.

fa.:jester:

Other doc's will come up soon!

Hello:

There are several things that could be causing your chest pain - depending to a certain extent on the severity of the pain, location and other physical findings. Associated with a cough? Voice changes? The probability is that if there are no other signs or symptoms - that this is due to costochondral strain from deep breathing or gear pressure. Chest pain alone is not usually a prominent symptom of pulmonary barotrauma and gas embolism does not usually manifest itself in this fashion.

As stated above, pneumothorax from pulmonary barotrauma is a much more dramatic presentation, does have significant pain but also has other life-endangering signs and symptoms.

Best bet is that this is due to musculoskeletal strain. If it persists or worsens, get to your doctor for a hands-on examination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom