Anyone Duct Taped a Latex Wrist or Neck Seal to Save a Cold Water Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone ever saved a cold water dive using duct tape on a torn wrist or neck seal?
(Latex)? How successful was it keeping out the cold/water? Did it work for a 2nd dive?
I imagine there's some leakage/flooding of the suit but how badly? Thanks.

That's an idea I hadn't thought of. Will it work on latex as it will on rubber inner tubes?
(I posted this question on TDS as well by the way.) Someone there recommended 3M electrical tape.
Thanks.

Heehee...

Saved a week of diving with this.

TS&M is the Duct Tape Mastah.

Ken

I've used duct tape to cover a small hole in my wrist seal. It worked quite well.

C

Anyone ever saved a cold water dive using duct tape on a torn wrist or neck seal?
(Latex)? How successful was it keeping out the cold/water? Did it work for a 2nd dive?
I imagine there's some leakage/flooding of the suit but how badly? Thanks.

One of dive buddies punctured a latex wrist seal a couple months ago. He slapped some neon yellow duct tape on it in order to salvage a dive trip. It worked just fine. He's been diving it that way ever since. It's continued to hold up with no leaks ... even on some deeper tech 1 level dives. Go figure.

Sounds like it works well on punctures, but wonder about full tears. I've thought about getting spare seals but so far have wanted to avoid rings (use wet gloves) and keeping and storing $70 spare seals if tape would get me through a two dive boat trip.

Heehee...

Saved a week of diving with this.

TS&M is the Duct Tape Mastah.

Ken

If I'm not mistaken, that looks like they are appling a Super Patch (TM). I've handed out more than a few to buddies with small leaks. Plus used one on a small tear on one of my Drygloves. It's still there and holding. They work like a charm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom