Anyone dove with whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last week went snorkelling with one during SI in Kona, Hawaii.

Before that went diving with the ones that are in a cage just off the coast of Okinawa,Japan. Did that dive because I thought after 15yrs of diving and not seeing any, I wasn't going to miss the chance to see 2.

Holbox, Mexico in July -- there are dive ops that will give your money back if you don't see them during that time. We saw maybe a dozen in a couple days. It was pretty cool!

BTW, you don't need to take one of the tours to Holbox. Rent a car in Playa del Carmen and drive. You can get a hotel and a snorkel reservation in Holbox on the net. Pretty inexpensive all-in-all. Don't forget to get some lobster pizza; it's nearly a religious experience.

I have heard of whale sharks in lots of places. I guess for a "guaranteed" trip, you'd have to do a live-aboard in the Galapagos. I went in late October of 2009, and we saw about 23-25 of them in two days on Wolf and Darwin. On one single dive we saw five (and we dove Darwin 4 times, and Wolf 3 times). It was beyond impressive (even despite the horrendous currents).

In the Galapagos, we do the "Galapagos grab" (my name for it, anyway). You go out to the site, and often the current is ripping all around you (especially at Darwin). The whole group back rolls off the panga (the hard-bottomed dinghy). The photographers make a quick dash up to get their gear, then everyone swims like mad for the bottom, for something to grab on to. Once everyone gets settled in, it is a waiting game. You are hanging on to the rocks (they're volcanic, and the current is so strong the nothing is growing there), and just waiting. Basically, you are "watching the show go by", as the drop off is severe off the wall, and the critters (and I mean LOTS of them) are cruising by. Often, you roll off near a school of hammerheads, and drop down.

So you wait. The viz isn't all that great. But when a whale shark comes, it kind of like the sun going down. There is a big, BIG, darker spot in the water. The divers then swim like mad to intercept it. You can't touch, and these things are awesome. We had one come up by our panga, and actually rubbed along side of it (was it trying to mate with our boat???). It turned around, and came right up to me (l had to back up, and it came six inches away from me). You are not allowed to touch them (and shouldn't, anyway, even if you could). They are incredibly gentle (thank goodness) and gracefull in their size.

And, yes, I would do the trip again. October and November are the "for sure" months in the Galapagos. You have to do a live-aboard to get to Darwin and Wolf, though. It is not for the feint of heart, as if you mess up, there are no helicopters to come rescue you, and the trip back to the area where there is a chamber is 19 hours, one way.

Below is one of my shots. Hard to guesstimate, but we had one dive where there were divers all up and down the whale shark. The guide thought it was 14-15 meters, and one of the largest he's seen (and he was born on the islands).

Attachments

• IMG_1587vsm.jpg
    IMG_1587vsm.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 83
I had just climbed into the boat after a Gordon Rocks dive last June when we spotted a juvenile. Grabbed a snorkel and stayed with him as long as possible. In October, during 2 days at Darwin, we had 13 sightings while diving. In November, during 2 days at Darwin, we had 17 sightings. And as amazing as the whalesharks are, I still love swimming through a bank of hundreds of hammerheads even more...especially if that's what you must do to chase Mr. Big.

Wow! What an awesome photo dpaustex! We dove Darwin's arch in August 08 and we had 29 sightings in 3 days of diving! It was the most incredible experience! My heart was racing at each and every sighting of the Big Senors !!!! :0)

Have dived/snorkeled with them in Sri Lanka and Philippines (Sogod Bay). Sogod Bay has many sightings from November-April and in clear water as well. Seems like there are many places with regular sightings across the world. Here in SL we have them pass through on the west coast around March/April but its more chance encounters than regular sightings.

yeh i,ve seen two one at sail rock off koh tao in thialand.the other south west pinnicle off koh tao thialand one newyears eve the other april

It is on my wish list and I hope to make that wish come true in September when I'm spending a week with Dora on the Rocio Del Mar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom