Anyone diving lake travis this weekend? Aug 27-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally Posted by FIXXERVI6
Well, I've got a reel up on the other bank so at a minimum I gotta get back down there and connect it up to go get my reel.
Is it a good reel?

Sounds like good practice to burn off some MIX

Quite a ways, I'd have to check my log book but we managed to get far enough up the other side that it was getting shallow

Hmm, any idea if the traverse will be complete this year?

Depends on lake conditions, normally when it gets down like this the vis goes to hell, and if its not, its hell hauling that much gear over those rocks, thats a lot of work for diving a lake.

Now it appears line repair is in order, how much its hard to tell.

Went diving on Sunday with a buddy. Vis was 5-10 ft, very green. Went down to 90ft and didn't see any trees :( Must have been in the wrong spot. It sure does get dark once you hit that thermalcline. Lake was down 46ft and boy did it show. Dive platforms stickin out all over the place along with land sticking out of the lake. Had a good time

I was told by another diver that there's a boat that takes people out to some dive spots one of which is an old concrete factory. Anyone ever dived it?

It's called the Shaker Plant. I did a research project two years ago on the site for a LCRA presentation. Neat wall to dive and right now the max depth for most artifacts is around 60'. Contact Robert at Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba for a ride. Quality operation and the best way to dive Lake Travis.

If you discount the rock piles, there is maybe 1% of the plant remaining. Still a good dive and we were able to match some of the remaining timbers to period photographs. The really interesting stuff, concrete tunnels, are much deeper and no one has found them yet.

It's called the Shaker Plant. I did a research project two years ago on the site for a LCRA presentation. Neat wall to dive and right now the max depth for most artifacts is around 60'. Contact Robert at Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba for a ride. Quality operation and the best way to dive Lake Travis.

If you discount the rock piles, there is maybe 1% of the plant remaining. Still a good dive and we were able to match some of the remaining timbers to period photographs. The really interesting stuff, concrete tunnels, are much deeper and no one has found them yet.

concrete tunnels??? do tell, whats the scoop, how deep are they estimated to be, size, purpose, length?

There are two that show up in the LCRA photos. There was a conveyor belt system to get the sorted aggregate to a mixer and then to the buckets for transport to the concrete mixing plant at the dam. Part of that system was covered by concrete tunnels that look to be around 6' square. The first tunnel was located at the northeastern end of the site (to your 2 o'clock (coming off the wall) from the biggest and most northerly of the timbers below the wall). Best guess on elevation, call it the 520-530' range. The second tunnel is at the southwest corner of the site. I don't have a good direction to tell you were to look. Same elevation as before.

No one has found either tunnel. The best guess is that they are buried. If you go looking for them, they will be close to the bottom of the rock piles.

Here is a photo from the LCRA Flicker page of the southern tunnel, Mansfield Dam Construction, 1937 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom