Anyone diving in Biloxi/Mobile area this time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Weather permitting, we'll be at Ft. Pickens jeddies this up-coming Sunday. Should be shallow tides so not-much of a current, hopefully.

Update: Didn't notice that it was going to be Memorial Day weekend. Pensacola Beach will be packed, so I think we'll have a group in Gulf Shores diving if the weather is good and if the surf picks up and vis goes down, we'll head for Vortex.

Will be out of town for the Memorial Day weekend, but just curious--what's are the water temps and vis like at Vortex this time of year?

Vortex is 68º year round and the visibility is about 40' until students stir it up and you get 20-30'.

Vortex is fun :)

Try these web sites,
www.xtremeadventures.net
This is the shop that I use. They run charters out every weekend on a 38' 6-pack. Very fast boat, drinks ( water and Coke) and food (sandwiches and fruit) is supplied for the SI. The Captain is great at putting you right on top of the wreck. They have a new boat coming in very soon. Much larger and just as fast. They run out of Pensacola and Dauphin Island. Highly recommend these people.

http://gulf-coast-divers.com
This is the shop I used to use. They run charters as they can fill them, usually about once or twice a month. The boat is much larger but is also much slower. The last time I went out with them there were no refreshments but I believe that they supply some now. This one is a little more expensive at $85 but is still a good charter.

Then there is my boat, Split the gas and help with the anchor and such and your welcome to come along, we go out of Dauphin Island and usually run out about 15 to 20 miles. Mainly Spearing around the Rigs but we do do some wrecks.

Just a quick update. I went diving with Capt. George Burton on Saturday. The diving was good and the visability was reasonable but nothing to brag about. The waves were a little bigger than expected and a few of the divers got sea sick. Nothing out of the ordinary. What was spectacular was the care and consideration the four of us divers received from the crew. What could have been a really average dive was made very notable. Although the price of $120 for three dives was high, I will be going with Capt. Burton again. I hope to see you all there.

jlayman800:
Yes, $120 sounded high to me too. George supplies some drinks and light snacks and the ice box. It still sounds high but I'm new to the area and don't know any of the other boats. I am going with George on Saturday 5/29 and will report on the results. This is specifically a spear fishing trip but he is running another trip the following days for people that don't want to spear fish. His web page is http://scuby-do.com/

Could you please post contact information for the other boats? It would be a big favor for all of us.

jlayman800:
Just a quick update. I went diving with Capt. George Burton on Saturday. The diving was good and the visability was reasonable but nothing to brag about. The waves were a little bigger than expected and a few of the divers got sea sick. Nothing out of the ordinary. What was spectacular was the care and consideration the four of us divers received from the crew. What could have been a really average dive was made very notable. Although the price of $120 for three dives was high, I will be going with Capt. Burton again. I hope to see you all there.

Thanks...where did you all go...what was the visibility...and the water temps...did you see another noteworthy?

hey guys i am getting certified this weekend so i will be new to diving but i have been fishing the gulf for many years,i have a 26ft world cat with twin engines, and lots of good private wrecks.I will be looking for some dive buddies who dont mind diving with a noob,and dont mind helping with fuel costs,also you ought to be prepared to do some fishing on the trip also, as i am sure i will be doing that also.
i am also curious as to wether anyone has done any diving around the legs of the semi submersible rigs outside the 100 fathom curve? i go out to the ram powell and horn mountain rigs to fish for tuna and marlin a good bit and just wondered if there was much to see on the floaters.the vis is generally awesome out that far.
anyway if anyone is interested let me know.

All good questions. The first dive was at a big yellow rig called "Tripple Rigs". It was only about 10 or 15 miles out from Pascagoula and the bottom was at 60 feet. The visability all day was about 30 feet with a cloudy layer near the surface. Because the seas were a little rougher than we were expecting, the Captain chose to keep a little more inland than he normally would. As it was, half the divers were leaning over the edge before the end of the day. The second and third dives were on Rig 952 A & B. Of the three dives, 952 B was the best for variety of fish and clarity. There was one big grouper, a ton of mackrel and some big red fish. I took a couple Sheeps Head off of 952 B. Don't worry, I left lots for you. The last two dives were to 70 feet. Because of the travel time between them, there was never any concern with approaching the on-decompression limits.

I can't guess on water temps well and don't have a thermometer. I was in a 3mm full-length wet suit. It was too warm for a hood but very comfortable without one. I think you could have done these dives in blue jeans and a sweat shirt and not been too cold.

Bayou Platypus:
Thanks...where did you all go...what was the visibility...and the water temps...did you see another noteworthy?

tmcgill:
hey guys i am getting certified this weekend so i will be new to diving but i have been fishing the gulf for many years,i have a 26ft world cat with twin engines, and lots of good private wrecks.I will be looking for some dive buddies who dont mind diving with a noob,and dont mind helping with fuel costs,also you ought to be prepared to do some fishing on the trip also, as i am sure i will be doing that also.
i am also curious as to wether anyone has done any diving around the legs of the semi submersible rigs outside the 100 fathom curve? i go out to the ram powell and horn mountain rigs to fish for tuna and marlin a good bit and just wondered if there was much to see on the floaters.the vis is generally awesome out that far.

I might be interested in the future, keep me updated on when you have plans to go out. My email is pimpn_66@hotmail.com .

I haven't done any diving on the rigs.

I am looking for some shore diving in the miss, ala, area. Ant info? Might be interested in diving with you. my wife and I are new divers also. Contact me at emsapara@msn.com Thanks
tmcgill:

hey guys sorry i havent replied sooner,i have been busy lately, i did finish my certification, and have since done 5 dives on various wrecks and rigs in the gulf off of dauphin island.gotta say i had a blast :) ,i will be going out of town for a bit on work however, but when i get back and have a chance to get back in the water i will get back with you guys and see if you are interested in going along.

Back
Top Bottom